NOT MY PRESIDENT!

dude

When I awoke on November 9th in horror and disbelief... the first thing that came to mind was Donald Trump is NOT MY PRESIDENT!

This is not a simple political view but an expression of outrage based on a profound loss of what was once America.

And even though those words seemed original to me, it looks like other Americans around this country have had the same reaction.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-protest-trump-20161109-story.html

Existentially, he's not mine either. Realistically, by the rules of our elections he certainly is. Short of armed rebellion, that won't change. In Portland, OR, mostly young people have taken to the streets with the cry of your subject line. They have blocked interstate highways at rush hour and vandalized private property. Having marched in the 60s and 70s for civil rights and against the war in Viet Nam, these actions seem like temper tantrums with no possible outcome except self-gratification.

That said, I see Trump as Reagan minus the veneer of civility. I suspect his presidency will have the same results--increasing distribution of wealth to the top, increased national debt and deficit. I'm not sure that Trump has any better idea of the relationship between trees and forests than Reagan did. I survived Reagan (many friends dead of HIV-AIDS did not) and I will survive Trump. I hope we marshal our protest enrgy for what he may do, rather than what the country has done. ACTUP had the right idea.

Well, he's due to become my president in two months or so regardless of how I feel about him, the jerk. And the problem isn't that too many people voted for him. It's that too many chose not to get out and vote against him.

Colin Kaepernick, he of the 'kneel for the National Anthem' infamy, acknowledged he didn't get off his *ss and vote. I guess he doesn't bother working towards improving things unless he's getting $500k an hour. Boo hoo. Great leadership, Colin. So look who we end up with. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/09/colin- kaepernick-didnt-vote/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

Opinions about presidents are always amazing. One person's perception of strength is another person's of weakness.

Carter was a great president? Even good? Not to me. In January and February of 1981 I shared a dining hall with 52 folks in Wiesbaden, Germany, who felt much more kindly towards President Reagan than Ye Olde Peanut Farmer. That's because after 444 days as imprisoned hostages, less than two hours after Reagan took office the 52 were aboard an aircraft flying them to freedom.

President Obama is a Nobel Prize Laureate for Peace. And we've been in non-stop combat since he took office. He's even the man who introduced legal drone strikes that have been 'responsible' for an enormous number of civilian deaths. Essentially, we've been in continuous war since he took office. Is this what they meant in the 70s by Peace at any Price?

Now we have the class clown coming in to take over. It's unlikely he's going to be an improvement. The job is tough and it's real easy to set up a mantra of "Wrong!" to his opponents. It takes something else to succeed in light of the challenges. But just maybe he'll have the cajones to walk into McDonnell-Douglas offices when they tell him the F-35 isn't up to specs and running another quarter trillion over budget, look at the entire executive suite and say, "You're Fired!" Or would it be more presidential if he simply authorized a drone strike?

Just listened to the More of Less programme on BBC Radio 4, explaining the mathematics of the presidential election. It seems that for the majority of Americans Trump is certainly not their president.

Just listened to the More of Less programme on BBC Radio 4, explaining the mathematics of the presidential election. It seems that for the majority of Americans Trump is certainly not their president.

You probably know more than the average American about the electoral college now! And since the college membership is based on state representation in Congress, it suggests that many laws might also be passed that The People don't want.

Amazingly, for Presidential elections, you could have a case in which only a single voter showed up in each of 11 states (CA, TX, FL, NY, IL, PA, OH, GA, MI, NC, NJ, totaling 270 electoral votes). If those eleven people all voted for the same candidate, no matter how many millions showed up in opposition in the other 39 states and DC, the eleven votes would win!

The popular vote is not really a reflection of the populace in a Presidential election because the electoral system causes candidates to ignore states in which they have no chance of winning -- e.g., California for Trump and Clinton in Wyoming. If the electoral college rules are changed so that California or Wyoming come into play, then the campaigns will move into those states and likely change the election result. Counting the total votes of an uncontested state the same as a votes of a contested state is not necessarily a reflection of the will of the people.

Before classes started on Wednesday morning about 1,500 students left Berkeley High school and marched in protest over the election of Donald Trump. They continued to the University of California campus and joined a much larger group of UC student protestors. Through the magic of social networking the news spread and there were student marches and protests at Oakland Technical High School, Bishop O’Dowd High School, Albany High School, Richmond High School, El Cerrito High School, John F. Kennedy High School, College Park High School, Concord High School, Clayton Valley High School, Pittsburg High School, Napa High School, New Tech High School, Vintage High School, Valley Oak High School, Northgate High School, and Las Lomas High School (yes, my alma mater; way to go, Knights!), all staged protests and walkouts. The story spread and thousands of high school students walked out of class in San Francisco, Sacramento, and other cities around the state and across the country.

I think we're raising our kids the right way!

Colin :icon_geek:

• 3 weeks later...

Usually I am pretty silent on speaking my views outside the safety of my Blog, where I can speak with my tongue firmly pressed against my cheek.  But I can't help myself now as I watch
what has been happening the last few weeks and the things that are starting to trickle down from Trumps camp and the overwhelming racism that has reared its ugly head again.

Speaking as a gay male, now more than ever we need to stand up and let out voices be heard.  Now is not the time to run away, move to another country, or pretend that just because those of us that live on the two coasts will be relatively unaffected the next four years.  

And don't be too quick to judge our fellow countrymen who voted for Trump.  Remember in the middle of the country, they have not bounced back as well as we have.  They have no jobs, no future, and nothing in the present but anger at the DNC for ignoring them and the RNC who has blocked every measure the President tried to pass on infrastructure to create new jobs.  It wasn't too long ago that we, the gay community was standing up and giving the world a big fuck you as we fought for our equality.  

And though I didn't vote for President Elect Donald Trump, he is our President and we need to make sure he doesn't forget about us.  We are here, we are Americans, and we are going to be so fucking loud he won't be able to pretend that we don't matter.  And like Isoroku Yamamoto stated at the conclusion of the attack on Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve".

Trump supporters were angry and they allowed their voice to be heard, for good or for ill.  We need to let our voice be heard.  Mr. Trump you are our president too, and you have to listen to what the will of the people dictate.  Lets just be louder than those others.

My two cents.  

I'm not at all pleased at the people Trump is putting into place. Too bad the moderates blew him off early. At this point a Jeb Bush or a Rand Paul looks a hell of a lot better than the FRC religious nut of the week.

Expect Trump to fire people that don't perform in their positions. It's his management style. If there are cabinet members that let their ideology get in the way of the job, they'll get the hook.