New Look at AwesomeDude Forums

dude

Hi everyone.  As you have probably noticed, the AwesomeDude & Codey's World Forums have a new look.

This is because of a major software upgrade from the 3.4 to 4.1 versions of the Invision Software that powers our board on November 28th. 

Last week, we moved our Forums to the Invision Cloud Server to improve the platform to speed up response time and to support the new software.

With the upgrade came the necessity to change the Theme (skin) of the Forums.  It was decided to veer away from the old Halloween color scheme which more or less matched the AwesomeDude.com story site colors for  -we hope- one that is mpre pleasant and easy to read.  This color scheme will be carried over to the main site in the near future.

With any online changes, the way things operate have changed a bit too.  New features... of course are among them.  I am opening this thread for all of us to address the changes and to tweak the board to make it work well for the majority of our users.

Your input is essential to the ultimate success of process.  If you are not yet a member of the site, please join up and make your opinion known.  It's never been easier to join.

Thanks,

Mike

2 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

I assume the final version of this is still to come, and this is still the temporary one.  If not:  what I miss here is the 'view new posts' button.  That is very important!

C

At the top of the page, you will find an Activity button. Hover your cursor over it to reveal some options, one of which is Unread Content. This should give you the new posts that you seek.

I'd also like to suggest to everyone that before you begin a new comment, or reply, that you click the Size button and change the size of the fonts before you start typing. Make it easier on yourself, and everyone else, to see what was typed. Even with my reading glasses, it's difficult to read the small print.

For those of you who like to see who's online, you will no longer find the list at the bottom of the page. The Browse button at the top of the page will take you to that information. It will also take you to the Forums, Blogs, and Staff listing.

2 hours ago, TalonRider said:

At the top of the page, you will find an Activity button. Hover your cursor over it to reveal some options, one of which is Unread Content. This should give you the new posts that you seek.

I'd also like to suggest to everyone that before you begin a new comment, or reply, that you click the Size button and change the size of the fonts before you start typing. Make it easier on yourself, and everyone else, to see what was typed. Even with my reading glasses, it's difficult to read the small print.

For those of you who like to see who's online, you will no longer find the list at the bottom of the page. The Browse button at the top of the page will take you to that information. It will also take you to the Forums, Blogs, and

It may depend on what device you're using. I currently am using my desktop to type this and can see everything that I've mentioned previously. I have my notebook here with me and can see everything. However, my cellphone is missing those buttons.

I'll have to check Invisions archive to see if there was any compatibility issues with other operating systems. Another thought I had was the browsers. I've used Opera, Chrome, and Firefox and they all work fine.

I have Windows 10 on the desktop and the notebook is an android. I'll even try my older desktop which has Windows 7.

I've added Font and size selector boxes to the board. 

This is Tahoma in 12 point

This is Tahoma in 14 point

This is Tahoma in 16 point

This is Tahoma in 18 point

This is Tahoma in 24 point

3 hours ago, Merkin said:

I'm longing for the return of the arrow button at the bottom of a page to get me quickly back to the top of a page.

Sometimes things go the way of the Dodo. Invision Power may have decided to do away with that function. They have several site owners who participate in the Beta process of testing new versions. If enough of the testers ask for something like that to be changed, I believe IPB does this with sufficient reason.

I'm not sure what to suggest to you Cole. I started up the older desktop computer running on Windows 7.  It displays the AD just fine. I also searched the IPS Community forums and couldn't find any information on compatibility issues between Windows 7 and Version 14.x.x.x.

Before anyone brings it up the Codey's World forums are missing, their not. It depends on which button you click.

If you look at the bar at the bottom of each page, you find Home> AwesomeDude Forums> The Web Wiz> New Look at AwesomeDude Forums. If you click on AwesomeDude Forums, it takes you back to the forums page. If you click on Home, it takes you back to both Forums.

6 minutes ago, TalonRider said:

Sometimes things go the way of the Dodo. Invision Power may have decided to do away with that function. They have several site owners who participate in the Beta process of testing new versions. If enough of the testers ask for something like that to be changed, I believe IPB does this with sufficient reason.

I'm not sure what to suggest to you Cole. I started up the older desktop computer running on Windows 7.  It displays the AD just fine. I also searched the IPS Community forums and couldn't find any information on compatibility issues between Windows 7 and Version 14.x.x.x.

I did find the activity button!  And I may now be able to distinguish between what is new and what isn't.  I also now see some buttons that allow text to be made bold or in italics but nothing for color or size.

I'm getting there.  This isn't as user friendly as the old system, but with persistence, it'll hopefully end up allowing us to do what we could before.

C

Mike has added the Font button along with Spoiler Button. He also did some rearranging of the buttons. The Font, Size, text color button (A) are located to the right of the Source button. If that's any help.

Sometimes, a skin package may relocate, or change, some of the features we all get used to.

Have you tried changing to the default skin, or theme, to see if that makes any difference?

There's a funny small image to the left of the word Source.  To the right of it are B I U then 6 more images.  I don't see an A or a size or font symbol.

When I'm notified that there's a new, unread message, that message seems to appear at the bottom of all the other posts.  Can that be changed so it appears at the top?  Seems to me if these are supposed to be shown as latest first, then succeedingly older, it's not happening that way, even though it's supposedly set that way. 

The buttons I am looking at as I reply to your posting are (from left) a 'funny button' which is the same function as Source - Source - Font - Size - Underline symbol - background color symbol - Bold - Italics - Underline - Link - Quotes - Emoticons - Bulleted List - Numbered List - Left Align - Center Align - Right Align - Preview - Spoiler.

I can add strike-through or a few other obscure buttons, but it would be harder to display on tablets and smart phones.

Mike

23 minutes ago, dude said:

The buttons I am looking at as I reply to your posting are (from left) a 'funny button' which is the same function as Source - Source - Font - Size - Underline symbol - background color symbol - Bold - Italics - Underline - Link - Quotes - Emoticons - Bulleted List - Numbered List - Left Align - Center Align - Right Align - Preview - Spoiler.

I can add strike-through or a few other obscure buttons, but it would be harder to display on tablets and smart phones.

Mike

You show a whole lot more buttons than I do.  I still have only the ten buttons I mentioned before.  Not the 18 you mention.  I've even cleaned my cache a couple of times now thinking that might help.  It hasn't.  Maybe someone else with familiarity with this system can help? I'd like to have some of those missing functions.

C

Just out of curiosity, have you tried switching to the default skin to see if there's any change?

As for the pop up at the bottom,  that's a new one on me. I've had it pop up a couple of times in this topic. I have noticed that you get a notification if someone quotes someone else.

1 hour ago, Cole Parker said:

How do I switch to the default setting?

C

Down in the lower left hand corner of any of the pages, you will see IPS Theme by IPSFocus, Theme, and Contact Us. 

Click on Theme. You will see two choices, one of which is the default IPS skin. Click on it and it will change.

To change back, you will find Theme at the bottom of the page in the middle.

My fault. I should have  said to click on Default, the top choice.

The Carbon 4 ipsfocus is also listed as default. After looking at what other skins are available for my own site, I noticed that some of those skin packages offer multiple skin options for members.

Guys,

I've been monitoring this exchange.  I also know from receiving story files from Cole that he sometimes uses a magnification in his version of Windows 7.  I am also using about 125% magnification and all 19 buttons run across my screen with space for another 15 (if they existed).

Perhaps, Cole, your browser is in less than full screen mode.  When I narrow the screen using the button just to the left of the browser top right button (X) that closes the browser, I too see only ten buttons in the reply panel as the browser narrows.  But when I click that button again and the screen returns to full screen mode, all 19 buttons appear.

I can see only ten buttons also on my tablet while in the vertical position but when I turn it to the horizontal position, all 19 buttons appear.

Try that, Cole

Mike

I'm in full screen mode and have the same space to the right of the buttons that show than the buttons are using.  I am in 150% magnification.  Here, I'll try 100%.

Uh, it worked!  I don't know why, as there was plenty of room, but, Hurry for El Presidente!

At 125% they're still there.

Back to 150, they disappear.

OK, easy fix.  When I want to write something, like this, I simply reduce the magnification one click.

I'm working with a bunch of geniuses!

C