non-odious comparison

I've been reading the newest serials by Douglas and Cole Parker with great joy and relish. It struck me that while both are extremely well written, the reading experience each offers is different. To use an art metaphor, the poetic quality of Douglas' prose highlights literary negative space. On the other hand, Cole's characters fully inhabit their space. I hope this belongs under Readers Rule :)!

5 hours ago, synystraal said:

I've been reading the newest serials by Douglas and Cole Parker with great joy and relish. It struck me that while both are extremely well written, the reading experience each offers is different. To use an art metaphor, the poetic quality of Douglas' prose highlights literary negative space. On the other hand, Cole's characters fully inhabit their space. I hope this belongs under Readers Rule :)!

Perfect place to comment.  Anywhere, really, though Mike might hit me upside the head for saying that.  The more the merrier, and if there's ever a place where we don't stand on formality, you've found it here.

I'm honored to be compared to Doug.  He's a fantastic writer.  And you've certainly caught me out.  I like clarity and character development.  I think the characters make or break the story.  The more integral they are to the story, the better the story is.

Great to see you here,  Synystraal, and hope to see you back soon.

C

Would it be fair to say that, for many readers, the characters are the story?  I would not be following either of the stories mentioned above if the lead characters were not complex and fascinating, and I was not sympathetic to their situations.  Of course plot and the extent the plot rings true counts for a lot of my interest in any story, but I think I share a general view that plot is most interesting to the extent it reveals character.  Both “China Boat” and “Me ‘n Riley” fulfill that expectation wonderfully well.