AD Forums Appearance - Poll

dude

Dark Bars or Light (Blue)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Dark Bar with Orange Font (current one)
    • Blue Bar with Light Orange Font (previous one)
    • Blue Bar with White Font - Original One
    • No Preference

Call me a traditionalist. I like the old colour scheme.

The falling snow on the other hand....

I mean, it's kinda cool, but it's distracting after a while, and I want to turn it off. And I can just look out the window if I feel a hankering for snow and really miss thinking about shoveling my sidewalk and driving on icy roads. I'm being triggered Mike!!! :icon_twisted:

To be fair, it's not snowing at the moment. Too cold. It rarely snows much when it's below -23 Celcius. It usually has to warm up to around -15 or warmer before it really snows. There are, of course, exceptions.

6 hours ago, Gee Whillickers said:

Call me a traditionalist. I like the old colour scheme.

This is basically the old AD Forums color scheme.  Orange, black and shades in between set for the Halloween colors ... our community's common holiday.

Come on, Gee, Cole and the rest of us in Southern California who grew up elsewhere miss the snow. 

Turn it off?  OK, the day after Christmas.  As for the guys 'down undah' this is their only chance for them to have a White Christmas!

Listen to AwesomeDude Radio... read the forums... enjoy the holiday season.

Mike

I lived in snowy weather for 38 years.  I remember more than one intersection where I slid through a red light because, while the brakes worked find and stopped the tires from spinning, the friction between the road and the tires was nonexistent.  Your heart ends up in your throat, and the only saving grace is that the cars with the green light don't have the traction to get started, so you slide safely through the peril.

I spent a week at college at  -30°.  That's true.  No exaggeration.  You turn the ignition key in your car and it doesn't even bother to laugh at you. Back then, we who had cars mostly had stick shift transmissions, so if you were on a hill, friends could push you onto it and get you started rolling, and then, as you'd ease off the clutch, the weight of the car would force the engine to turn over, and, by golly, the thing would start!  At -30°!

I don't really miss that.  It's OK for a young man; not so good for an elder statesman.  I do miss the falling snow, however.  The special silence that accompanies it, it's own grandeur, yeah, I miss that.  So if Mike can bring us memories, I'm all for it.

Block heaters are standard here. If you don't plug your car in, you're not going anywhere in the morning. To be fair, modern electronic fuel ignition engines are amazing at starting even in really cold weather, but that doesn't help when the battery just groans and turns over for another 8 hours of sleep!

As for push starting engines, oh I remember that all too well! I still have to do it often, every summer. Fortunately, motorbikes are a bit easier to push and pop. Students are always stalling and killing the batteries, so we bump 'em back to life. Good exercise!

6 hours ago, dude said:

Turn it off?  OK, the day after Christmas.  As for the guys 'down undah' this is their only chance for them to have a White Christmas!

Thanks, Mike. When I lived in the UK, we missed a White Christmas by one day. It snowed on the 26th...

8 hours ago, dude said:

Come on, Gee, Cole and the rest of us in Southern California who grew up elsewhere miss the snow. 

I am put in mind of a SciFi short story I read 35-40 years ago. The premise was that Weathermen could control the weather by manipulating Sunspots amongst other means, and would take requests for particular types of weather for specific reasons. Eg ensure crops don't fail. Then comes a request from California from someone (child I think) suffering from something nasty,  incurable and fatal to see snow before he dies. Although at the limits of their abilities, the Weathermen take on the challenge to create a small localised snowstorm. Sorry I can't remember the title or the author.

So Dude and Cole, if you want to see snow, hang in there for a few centuries until the technology catches up. Might be easier to go visit Gee though. I'm sure he, and every other Canadian would be willing to share.

No need to dust off those passports.  Just pay a visit to Sanitaria Springs or any other part of upstate New York currently suffering the results of Lake Effect snow, well over a foot of it, I think. (That was a blatant plug for my story, BTW)

I've just noticed that our onscreen snowfall is resulting in a little bit of pileup at the foot of the screen.  Nice touch, Mike!  I wonder, will it get progressively deeper as we get closer to Christmas?  We may have to get out our shovels...