AwesomeDude & CodeysWorld have moved!

dude

To mark the winter solstice, AwesomeDude.com and CodeysWorld.com have moved to a new hosting facility.

We are sorry if you failed to connect during the hours the DNS servers took to propagate the new information.

We're now hosted on servers in Germany.

We hope we'll get good results by using the very reliable servers of 1and1.com.  Their customer service and technical support is excellent.

We'll now move into the New Year with new servers and the Forums with its new look.

Thanks for your patience over the past few weeks.

Mike

I have a  issue with the homepage and Opera. When I use a link for the homepage, awesomedude.com, I get the DSN error page. It also shows the url as www.awesomedude.com.

Using forums.awesomedude.com takes me directly to the forums. I don't have the problem with Chrome or Firefox. I can use the link at the top of the pages to reach the homepage.

1 hour ago, TalonRider said:

I have a  issue with the homepage and Opera. When I use a link for the homepage, awesomedude.com, I get the DSN error page. It also shows the url as www.awesomedude.com.

Using forums.awesomedude.com takes me directly to the forums. I don't have the problem with Chrome or Firefox. I can use the link at the top of the pages to reach the homepage.

Why does this remind me of the man telling his doctor, 'It hurts when I do this," and the doctor replying, "So don't do that." ?

OK, I'm being snarky.  I understand the merit in the comment.  Sorry.

C

When I tried to refresh the home page or navigate around the site I was getting a blank white screen. Cured it by using a search engine to find the site at the new servers and relinked 'favourites'. I had to do this for both iPad and Win7 desktop.

As a supplementary: I find I get the blank screen again if I try to access Camy's stories from the author list (which point to Camysgaff site) but can get to them through the link in the featured author box (which appears to point to a part of the AD site). 

I have no explanations except to say that DNS servers along the way update at different rates.  Also different browsers handle (update) their caches in different ways.  Eventually, however, they all resolve and things are normalized.

First time visitors have no problems, usually, the url's are the same but are just now located at different ip addresses.  They won't change for the immediate future.  We've made a move and sometimes current site users browsers need to update themselves.

Anyway, I want to thank Colin for his cooperation in getting the sites moved.  All of the @awesomedude.com email forwarding accounts should work.  Let me know if you have one that doesn't.

It took me all night on Wednesday night to make the moves and Colin most of Thursday to get little bugs that appeared at AD and CW exterminated.  All this during a driving rain storm in the Southern California desert.

Mike

14 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

Why does this remind me of the man telling his doctor, 'It hurts when I do this," and the doctor replying, "So don't do that." ?

OK, I'm being snarky.  I understand the merit in the comment.  Sorry.

C

That's alright Cole, it was good for a laugh.

Moving a web site and dealing with DNS changes seems to always be a PIA. One thing I finely learned to help the process if you have enough control of your DNS is a couple of weeks in advance of the move set the time to live to like 5 minutes rather than 1 or 2 days. Still not every place that caches DNS honors these request, but in general it does help. After the move is complete then you can set the time to live to a couple of days.

When I first got the DNS name not found message I was worried that you were going away. Very glad that was not the case.

I have checked with the hosting provider and several readers around the world and am assured the DNS hiccups have been cured.

Thanks for your patience through some anxious moments.  We don't often make major changes like this (last hosting provider change was about ten years ago) and don't anticipate major trauma again until we're all into our (collective) dotage.

Hint:  Details coming soon on how AD plans to counter a major earthquake (reportedly coming soon) that will benefit Arizona real estate developers' beachfront home sales.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mike

Whoops... time to turn off the snow!