Cantaloupe by Cole Parker

Rutabaga

I've often thought that the "clash" between the generations is more notable when it occurs in the classroom among teachers and students.  Although we expect it to occur in households between parents and children, I'd offer the observation that there it is softened by day-to-day interaction from birth and parents are at least aware of the changes that may be taking place to influence their children.  Teachers, however, often seem frozen in time, and that time was likely set for them when they stepped into their classrooms for their first class.  I still remember the awful poems and worse novels pushed onto me for required reading by teachers whose repertoire of worldly wisdom stemmed from a much earlier part of the twentieth century.

It wasn't that long ago when I was in high school — almost ten years, in fact; I graduated high school in 2007. Most of the teachers were "with it" both in high school and intermediate (middle) school. I was in the eighth grade in 2002-2003. The school started a GSA that school year. Amazing, 'eh?

Colin  :icon_geek:

Thanks again, R!   I don't know how often that happens.  I, of course, as I'm sure most of us who write these things do, read it numerous times, so many that we're generally sick of each of them by the time they're posted.  I don't know how else to massage them into some sort of coherent, entertaining whole.  I rarely reread anything I've written, probably because of the 'sick of them' syndrome just mentioned.  I like the idea, though, of them being readable more than once.  You probably catch more of the little nuances that are always there by doing that.

C

It's a delightful story Cole, one with insight not just plot and style.

I agree about the misery of proof-reading, especially when you write stuff intended to create emotion. What I do on the other hand that is probably seriously odd is... I read along with the readers, reading each installment as its posted. Why? Partly to get the rhythm of it, but partly... because I'm still astonished to see something I wrote. To write is a gift, a gift that I was given very late in life.

I love reading your stories Cole, they lift my spirit and make me think. They bring me back here when I've been mad. So well done.

[ Oh dear, the typo I'm correcting is too good to lose... It said "they lift my spirit and make me thin" , maybe there's a story there, consequences of a good typo]

Just read this one, Cole.

Wonderful story! Somehow I was reminded of the tone of some of your earlier stories while reading this one. I'm not sure if that was done by you intentionally or not, but either way I found myself noticing this. I really liked Eric. He calls Logan one of the 'smart kids' but he's certainly no slouch either! Quite the clever lad.

Well done, as always. Thanks for that one.

Thanks, Gee!  Yes, I did purposely try to change the tone of the story from some of my later ones.  I'm always aware of the tone of the narration.  I often don't get it exactly as I want it.  It feels so good when I can.  It helps define the protagonists to such a great extent.  And I think that's important in this kind of writing.  I really liked how the protagonist sounds in Me 'N Riley, too.  

Again, thanks!

C