A Valentine's Day Story? - 'Thrift Shop Nation' by Geron Kees

Resurgam

Thanks, Resurgam.  You can ignore Cole's carping, as we all do.  I second your recommendation; "Thrift Shop Nation" has been one of my favorite long short stories, and you sent me back to it just in time for a perfect Valentine reread.
James

• 3 months later...
On 2017-2-14 at 2:44 PM, Cole Parker said:

I don't think you can call that a chapter.  It's a short story if it's complete.  And, according to my mentor, Colin, it's a novella.  Novellas are short stories that have between 17,501 and 40,000 words.  This would be a Valentine's Day novella.

Oh, but it is a chapter. The GA web page says so: "FIRST CHAPTER Chapter 1". :) There doesn't seem to be a way for a short story or novella at GA not to be a chapter. 

I concur with all you guys: it is a very nice story.

p

6 hours ago, PeterSJC said:

Oh, but it is a chapter. The GA web page says so: "FIRST CHAPTER Chapter 1". :) There doesn't seem to be a way for a short story or novella at GA not to be a chapter.

I think this "short stories are always a Chapter 1" thing is Myr's way over at GA to encourage writers to expand a short story into a novella or a novel. Or at least to write another short story that's a sequel... of course, that would mean that the sequel short story would be a Chapter 1, too.

Colin  :icon_geek: