What percent of the U.S. population is LGBTQ?

According to a release from GLAAD/Harris, 20% of people ages 18 to 34 identify as LGBTQ, a big increase from Generation X (12%) and the Baby Boomer generation (7%).

Colin  :icon_geek:

11 hours ago, Chris James said:

We may never have an official count since the Trump government has removed the gay questions from the census. What are they afraid of finding out?

What are they afraid of? That there are more gays in the US than they want to have documented. For them, suppressing is better than disclosing.

Back in the late 1950s my school class performed an inadvertent experiment. We didn't mean to, but the result is I think revealing.

They were innocent times when boys could play sexually with other boys without thinking of it as other than simply naughty or at most "dirty", the sort of thing our mothers had encouraged us not to do. We had no particular way to discover that homosexuality existed... in growing up I never had a sex-ed session with anyone, school or home. That's not quite true, in retrospect my father tried to warn me against perverts when I was about to join the village judo club at 14... it was such an oblique explanation that I really missed what he meant.

Where was I? Ah, yes... so the boys of my form room played with each other in varying couplings, 2/3 to 3/4 of us, a few were too respectable or relligious... or secretive.

That lasted until the summer we turned 15, when all of a sudden... WE KNEW! It was illegal, it was wrong... it could wreck things.

Suddenly, the essentially heteros stopped playing... found girls or spent hours in the shower.

What I am getting at is that left to themselves, in a non-judgmental state of ignorance the vast majority of boys enjoyed what today would be thought of as gay... When the shutters came down that reverted to about 15%

I'm not saying 2/3 were gay, but that 2/3 were happily neutral, accepting gay sex as an alternative to no-sex. It was social pressure from outside that reduced it to a hardcore of boys who needed sex more than they need safety.

Has the Trump administration already removed those questions? That would be almost lightning speed for a government, given the presentation the Census Bureau made in September of last year ( https://www.census.gov/hhes/samesex/files/FinalPresentation.pdf ).

Admittedly, even this household study is only a step along the way. What was once simply LGBTQ has morphed into 31 gender identities according to the NYC Mayor's office ( http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/24/new-york-city-lets-you-choose-from-31-different-gender-identities/ ). At some point trying to come up with an honest assessment of 'who's what' is most likely to fail.

Overall, what would be the purpose for such a governmental probe? Would it actually serve a specific, more than curiosity, societal need, or should we focus on health-related census inquiries instead, or should we just get back to the original purpose and count the people??

3 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Has the Trump administration already removed those questions? ...

Overall, what would be the purpose for such a governmental probe? Would it actually serve a specific, more than curiosity, societal need, or should we focus on health-related census inquiries instead, or should we just get back to the original purpose and count the people??

I almost hope they remove those questions! Just think what might come from the Trump government if they had that information.

I'm not paranoid. I just think I am.

To understand the consequences of intrusive census probings try reading

"IBM and the Holocaust" by Edwin Black, pub 2001, Crown. ISBN 0 316 85769 6

It was the mechanisation of the German Census in the 1930s that made the Holocaust possible. According to Black it was countries like Holland that had right-wing enthusiasts running the census that had the greatest disaster as a result.

For many Jews it was a moment of great pride to record their religion and race on the census, a census record that came back to haunt them.