Lightning in a Jar by Cole Parker

Again starting a topic that the proletariat can respond to. 

An interesting premise. I confess that the main character didn't seem to have many redeeming qualities at the outset. Will be very interesting to see how he fares in this position. 

I worked in recording and then broadcasting while in college and during summers, and was never at a loose end   Pity there were no openings for professional sperm donors at the time.

R

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/22/2017 at 9:19 PM, Cole Parker said:

You know, I'm getting past it a little.  I hardly remember Hec.  I do remember Lute.  He's a piece of work.

Hec )Hector) was the arrogant and ne'er-do-well son of Mrs. Hanson, the owner of the ranch where Ren ended up.

R

3 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

Ah, yes.  That guy.  It might have killed me, but military school is just the thing for some.

C

Before he got busted, though, Hec was fond of ordering people around with the statement "I own this ranch."   You can see why I thought of him when Lute pushes people around on the basis of "I'm the Senior Counselor."

R

"And then it all blew up"?!  Oh no, a cliffhanger! Mr. Parker, you are an evil man! :)

I usually wait until a story is complete, before beginning to read it. This time, I slipped up, and now I'm hooked. I think I have said this about several of your stories, but this is one of your best. David, with his combination of laissez faire and nurturing, is a role model for us all.

This is basically a feel-good story, with happy outcomes likely for all of the characters except Luther. In some ways it reminds me of Camp, a movie I have watched several times.  I am happy that you are already laying the groundwork for a sequel. It will be fun to watch all the characters—including David—continue to grow. 

p

Thanks, Peter.  Some of my editors also said this was one of my best.  I don't have much feel for that.  I just begin writing and see where it'll take me.  But I did feel good as I was writing this.  That isn't always the case.

And thanks, Chris, for the music video.  I find a lot of the violin literature tiresome.  Definitely not so with the Franck.  He was a church organist and college professor who was known for his organ compositions, but became a major figure in the music world of France in the middle to later 19th century.  He was a contemporary and associate of such giants as Saint-Saens, Bruckner, d'Indy and Liszt.  

He wrote a vast number of organ pieces, but also a wide variety of orchestral and chamber music.  He only wrote one symphony, but it's an appealing piece, as most or all of his music is, and it is still performed today.

His violin sonata mentioned in this story is often cited as his most popular and famous work.

C