Global cybernet attack

vwl

My office had nothing hacked, and neither did any of our clients or the websites we usually visit. We have very strong anti-intrusion hardware and software.

Doug said the University of California at Davis didn't have any problems.

Nothing happened at home, either.

I heard on KCBS radio this morning that FedEx was hacked. The CBS TV news tonight reported that the hackers were asking $300.00 from each site as the ransom for the code to decrypt their files; the CBS TV news also reported that Russia had the most organizations hacked. Both sources reported that the code was part of what was downloaded from the NSA on April 14. For now, I'd treat all of these reports as rumors until they are corroborated.

Colin  :icon_geek:

I wasn't bothered by the attack.  I did get this email this morning from Malwarebytes, the anti-virus protection I use:

SPECIAL BULLETIN
Malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.com
img-breakingnews-470px.png

Dear ,

A massive ransomware attack spread across the globe today, locking up thousands of hospital, telecommunications, and utilities systems in nearly 100 countries. The attack used data stolen from the NSA to exploit vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows and deliver the WanaCrypt0r ransomware. The demand was for $300 per PC.

While the ransomware was first detected wreaking havoc in emergency rooms and doctors' offices in the UK, the infection quickly spread worldwide, including to the US.

We're alerting you to reassure you that if you're currently using the premium version (or the premium trial) of Malwarebytes with real-time protection turned on, you are protected from this threat. Our premium technology blocks the WanaCrypt0r ransomware before it can encrypt your files. (The free version of Malwarebytes, however, does not protect you against WanaCrypt0r. To see which version you have, open up your Malwarebytes software and look for the version name at the top of the window.) Learn more about Malwarebytes

If you're not currently using the premium version of Malwarebytes, we recommend that you update your Microsoft Windows software immediately. Microsoft released a patch for this vulnerability in March, but many users haven't updated, leaving their computers open to this attack.

Here at Malwarebytes, we pledge to keep you protected and informed about the latest issues. Your peace of mind is our number one priority.

Sincerely,

The Malwarebytes team 
P.S. Learn more about this threat here.

I have the premium package.  Yeah, I'm paying for it, but it isn't all that expensive.  I'd used the free version previously and liked it, so a few months ago I bought the premium package.  Now I'm very thankful I did.

I would guess these bastards will be hunted down and squashed with prejudice.  They shut down hospitals and could well have caused tragedies.

C

Just a small but very important point. No computer was hacked in this cyber attack. They were INFECTED. There is a major difference between being hacked and being infected.

MalwareBytes protects against infections... I use the premium MB + the included MS anti-virus software Windows Defender (formerly Security Essentials) and find that is the best protection for Windows 7~10.

Mike

On 5/13/2017 at 5:58 AM, Merkin said:

I haven't been hacked, but I have been squinted by Colin, just above.  Hey Colin, how about using a larger typeface?  :wave:

Hmm... that's strange. I use 16pt but I can change to 18pt from now on. All I have to do is remember... remember... remember... oh yeah, now I remember... 18!

On 5/13/2017 at 0:20 PM, Nigel Gordon said:

Just a small but very important point. No computer was hacked in this cyber attack. They were INFECTED. There is a major difference between being hacked and being infected.

Yes, the computers were infected by ransomware, which then hacked the computers when they encrypted the data on the computer's hard drive and overlayed the (old version) Windows OS with the ransomware message.

Investigations on the release of this ransomware are underway, and once again the fingers seem to be pointed at North Korea. It will take some months  for the results, as reported in the New York Times.

Just what NK hopes to create with all this is unclear, but as the experts warn it is not over yet.

Economic sanctions over missile launchings and nuke tests don't seem to work against a regime that doesn't care if its people starve to death. Dictators rarely care about anything but themselves, especially when other rogue nations like Iran support them.

To further isolate NK perhaps there is a way to terminate their access to the world wide web and kill their internet. The NK government is already blocking average users in country from most of the web, leaving only the localized propaganda channel. I'm sure it can be done even if there are no laws allowing it.

The situation with NK is already out of hand so either we nuke their internet now or wait until real nukes become necessary to terminate the threat. The buffoon in charge of NK makes all these threats, launches missiles, and claims he is going to nuke America. How long are we going to allow this behavior?  

6 hours ago, Chris James said:

How long are we going to allow this behavior?  

What - you got a mouse in your pocket? ;)

Somewhat more seriously, who is the "we" of which you speak? The most recent North Korean declared-nuclear-capable missile launch, rated as a success, landed in waters about 50 miles from Vladivostok. Are the Russians screaming? Launched from western North Korea, the missile must've passed pretty close to China. Is Beijing sounding alarms?

But the US sends the Carl Vinson carrier task force some 6000 miles to be in the neighborhood and it's the US who should step up to the plate? Because somebody - maybe the evil North Koreans - or maybe some zit-faced kid in Alberta - had the audacity to mess with The Internet? It seems a bit far-fetched.

Realistically, only one nation in the world has ever given up its nuclear weapons, and there are arguments that the underlying causes were more racial than peace-loving. On the other hand, North Korea, having put itself in its own place, alone against the world, is unlikely to start cozying up any too soon, so we're going to have to continue to accept the reality of their being a nuclear power. Short of another devastating war there seems little choice.

As for the most recent attack on the Internet, I'd prefer we let the "professionals" identify the actual culprits and take whatever sweet revenge might be appropriate. But I won't cry too hard if we accidentally cut all of NK's network cables in the interim.