Son of a Preacherman

dude

Thought you'd enjoy a recent video of a song written by a couple of friends of mine and originally recorded by Dusty Springfield in 1968.

This portrayal is just what composers Ronnie Wilkins and John Hurley had in mind when they wrote the song!

Enjoy!

Mike

On 26/6/2017 at 11:56 PM, dude said:

This portrayal is just what composers Ronnie Wilkins and John Hurley had in mind when they wrote the song!

Wow! Very powerful! I listened/watched several times just now and really heard it for the first time, despite having listened passively, many years ago, to versions by Dusty Springfield et al on the radio.

Can you clarify what Wilkins & Hurley had in mind? Have they made any public statements regarding the song?

Can you clarify what Wilkins & Hurley had in mind? Have they made any public statements regarding the song?

I spent several months with Ronnie & John in 1967. 

I don't want to go into the personal lives of these two who have been close friends since their schoolboy days but their is no doubt among any of those who know them well that this was 'their song.'

As far as any public statement from them, I am not aware of any.  Cam Clarke recorded the song on a CD more than fifteen years ago, clearly from a maie-male point of view.

Mike

13 hours ago, dude said:

I don't want to go into the personal lives of these two who have been close friends since their schoolboy days but their is no doubt among any of those who know them well that this was 'their song.'

As far as any public statement from them, I am not aware of any.  Cam Clarke recorded the song on a CD more than fifteen years ago, clearly from a maie-male point of view.

Mike, thanks for the additional information. I would not want to intrude on their privacy. If Wiklins and Hurley had made public comments about the creationof the song—not that that is a common thing for songwriters to do—I would have liked to add them to the Wikipedia article about the song.

Again, thanks for posting the link to that video. I think that even without the video, the Tom Goss cover would be my favorite. I will never hear that song the same again, regardless of who is singing.

p