Producing HTML without coding...

sumbloke

It's already been pointed out that MS Word produced horrible html if you use it to create a web page. And, it's true that Dreamweaver is expensive and you need to learn how to use it (it's not a hugely steep learning curve for straightforward tasks but it's still a curve). A very viable alternative is to install OpenOffice - or just OpenOffice writer which is the WordProcessing package. OOWriter is easy to use, very similar in operation to Word. It produces nice clean HTML without the bloat of Word produced files. It also has the added bonus that it creates Adobe PDF files. AND IT'S FREE! I like the whole package including the database program which now has native support for MySQL and Access file formats. The equation editor is also better than the Microsoft equivalent, IMHO.

You can find out about it and download here

Jakob

• 1 year later...
It's already been pointed out that MS Word produced horrible html if you use it to create a web page. And, it's true that Dreamweaver is expensive and you need to learn how to use it (it's not a hugely steep learning curve for straightforward tasks but it's still a curve). A very viable alternative is to install OpenOffice - or just OpenOffice writer which is the WordProcessing package. OOWriter is easy to use, very similar in operation to Word. It produces nice clean HTML without the bloat of Word produced files. It also has the added bonus that it creates Adobe PDF files. AND IT'S FREE! I like the whole package including the database program which now has native support for MySQL and Access file formats. The equation editor is also better than the Microsoft equivalent, IMHO.

You can find out about it and download here

Jakob

Maybe it's a little late to revive this thread but I only just found it.

I can echo others' recommendation of OpenOffice - I find it great and it's free. Dreamweaver is sufficiently expensive to put it out of my reach but I've discovered Kompozer, the open source alternative and it's fantastic. Originally developed by the Mozilla team (Firefox, Thunderbird etc.) as Composer, taken over by Linspire as NVu, version 1.0 was the last version from them, released in 2005. Unofficially it has received further development under the new name Kompozer and can be found here.

As far as I can see, it gives much of the functionality of Dreamweaver for free. Can't be bad.

Bruin