Attitude Adjustment by Cole Parker

I had the privilege of reading this story in its entirety before Cole began posting it and I must say it is one of his better efforts, which is saying something when talking about Cole Parker. It has a classic Cole element, showing the growth and evolution of a protagonist, though in a different way. It is unusual for Cole to start off with a negative character and you might be surprised by this, but keep reading. It's an amazing story with the usual Cole Parker twist at the end. I will say nothing more, except that it's an amazing story.

http://www.awesomedude.com/coleparker/AA/index.htm

Another good story by Cole. Tension on the home front, tension on the playing field, a wonderful way to begin. I might even learn something about football as I read along, but a few diagrams from the coach would help me visualize the play. No second guessing the plot, Cole will reveal all in his own time. Looking forward to the next chapter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have just read the final chapter of this and it has just got better and better as it has gone along. Well written and well structured, the two don't always go together, this story leads you onwards through the development of the lead character's mindset but it also contains some surprising twists. It is one I would recommend everybody to read.

A versatile story about changes. The parallels Cole draws between the lives of his characters and the activity on the football team work so very well. This is a story about stereotypes: the jocks, the gays, and the adults. Each group comes to a new understanding of the others in the plot of this story. Well done, Cole.

Thanks so much, fellas. This was a joy to write. I do like football, though I was never big enough to play the tackle variety, and as Chris says, could easily see parallels. Also, I thought it would be interesting to have a protagonist who wasn't a stereotypical gay kid, wasn't, in fact, any sort of stereotype.

We can go wherever we want in our imaginations. That makes writing stories a great deal of fun.

I appreciate all your support more than I can say.

C

I'm sure Cole understands what I mean when I say our stories here need to have heroes. They don't have to be gay kids or even straight ones, a caring adult will do the trick. When society loses compassion for the thoughts and ideals of youth then we are doomed.

I have begin to incorporate compassionate adults in my work in hopes that those who read see the need for positive thoughts in their own lives. Adults have all the advantages in our society and need to develop a passion for nurturing. The very concept of homeless gay youth is appalling to me, any homeless kid is worthy of our attentions.

So let us welcome any story with heroes to these pages. And somewhere over the rainbow dreams really do come true.

I'm sure Cole understands what I mean when I say our stories here need to have heroes. They don't have to be gay kids or even straight ones, a caring adult will do the trick. When society loses compassion for the thoughts and ideals of youth then we are doomed.

I sometimes think that maybe we are concentrating too much on making a gay point in our stories, might there not be more scope in writing that reflects compassion and tolerance whether that is in a gay context or not?

Guest Dabeagle

I think making compassionate points are ideal, however I think it's imperative that we include the gay aspect. We are one of several minority groups that lack for representation in various different settings and, I think, providing that aspect is a vital function. Like Pec always say, you should be able to remove the gay element and still have a compelling story for it to be a good story (I'm paraphrasing) but the fact we do have that 'gay point' is why our readers find us and write to us - both the people whose time to make use of this has past, and the ones for whom these ideas are revelations - building blocks to their own compassion.

Having compassion or the thoughts of the young is tricky, I find they don't make it easy. For instance, I have compassion for the things my son has gone through and I understand it's the reason he does the things he does. But, being older, I also understand that allowing him to continue down that path and do as he does is destructive and that I have to find a way to show him that. I also know that a fair amount of his thoughts are about farts. Although we tend to write kids in a more intelligent and thoughtful light, teenagers are not known far and wide for their own compassion and ideas. I've spent time working in group homes, in schools, and mentoring and I can say that there are some nice kids but they are fewer than I'd like - kind of like adults. But I do think the gay aspect we bring is vital.

• 3 years later...