Arkadelphia Plantation by Sequoyah

Arkadelphia Plantation—a story with a very long gestation period.

Three years ago I started work on a sequel to Sentinel Mountain. After struggling with it off and on for a few months, it was obvious it was going no where, so I gave up on the endeavor. Somewhere in the backwaters of my mind, the basic idea behind a different story was a shadowy half-formed idea. I started playing around with it when, at the same time, an ongoing chronic back problem reached the point yet another back surgery was scheduled. Following the surgery the pain killers made any real creative work pretty much dead in the water. As the months passed, I picked up the story from time to time, but the chronic back pain and narcotic pain killers became a part of everyday life rendering creative thought problematic. Just over a year ago, I took up the story once again and managed to finish what is now being posted by the Awesome Dude. I hope  you enjoy Arkadelphia Plantation.

Note on the title. I think probably it’s mostly just a  tale, but growing up I was told an African-American community, Colony, Alabama, was founded by slaves from  Arkadelphia Plantation after the Civil War. Colony was originally in Jefferson County Alabama—county seat Birmingham—but is now in Cullman. Cullman was settled after the Civil War and had no African-American citizens and meant it to stay that way. It was not to be.The border between the two counties is the Mulberry Branch of the Black Warrior River. An Act of God, a flood, changed the course of the river delivering a whole African-American community into lily white Cullman overnight. Growing up I was always fascinated by the story, the irony of it all and the delightful name Arkadelphia.

Sequoyah