Trump's Heroes....

The more analysis I read about our new president the more I realize he has no sense of perspective, at least not for American history.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-does-trump-love-andrew-163033874.html

Trump caused a portrait of Andrew Jackson to be hung in the Oval Office, but does he know anything about Jackson? Our 7th president was a huge slave owner, but then so were all of his ilk. Number 7 is also known as the Genocidal President for what he did to the Native American population in the name of greed. Maybe there is some resemblance between Jackson and Trump...unfortunately we will find out the hard way. 

Well, Jackson was the first (and only) President to end his time in office with a balanced budget. Perhaps that might be a goal for President Trump, and cause for that portrait, though a repeat of that feat is infinitely impossible.

Granted, in the days of Jackson slavery was still well supported by most Americans and Jackson did nothing to change that. The Trail of Tears was a direct outcome of Jackson's policies, but which of the subsequent presidents has been the one to restore the honor and lifestyle of Native Americans? My count is 'zero'.

And, it should be remembered, Jackson was a Democrat.

Oddly enough, Jackson was strongly opposed to the Electoral College. If he'd been successful in that opposition there wouldn't be a President Trump today. Some presidential failures are more costly than others.

Trump is taking financial support away from the arts and trying to roll back auto emission standards.  I'm not sure there's not a single progressive step we've made in the past 20 years he isn't trying to undermine.  He doesn't care about people.  He has his own Trail of Tears in his immigration policy, separating families, sending wage earners away and leaving their families without that support, leaving kids without parents.

He's a monster.

C

Trump's budget is a shambles that isn't even garnering the support of many in Congress. But in looking at the list of things Trump would like to see cut out of the budget that will affect ordinary Americans I see a pattern. Considering his background, I doubt if Trump has ever listened to NPR, or understands that funding for PBS stations only costs Americans $1.35 per citizen per year. (statistic from PBS yesterday).

Okay, Trump knows real estate...or perhaps not considering how many bankruptcies he's filed in the past two decades. But social programs are not in his lexicon and no where is it more obvious than in his planned cuts to the care for the sick and elderly. One of his aides said yesterday that the Meals on Wheels program shows no results for the expenditure. What planet are these idiots from?

Removing a lifeline that provides meals and social contact for homebound patients with HIV/AIDS, and the elderly that cannot shop at grocery stores for whatever reason is a slap in the face to a most important social program. As one blog noted yesterday, perhaps Trump thinks that older people should just send their butler out to do the shopping. He needs to get his head out of his ass.

But in many cases I don't think Trump is the author of these cuts, they must be coming from his advisors, or should we be calling them his "handlers." In years past we used to make jokes about who was doing the thinking for G.W. Bush while he was president. This time with Trump in office there is no joke, just a serious concern that he is going to destroy decades of progress.