Musings

Just read that 4,153,237 people got married last year. Don't want to be nit-picky, but shouldn't that be an even number?

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they would eventually find me attractive.

I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom... until they are flashing behind you.

When wearing a bikini, women reveal 90% of their body. Men are so polite they only look at the covered parts.

A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y?

America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote.

Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that.

I think my neighbor is stalking me as she's been googling my name on her computer. I saw it through my telescope last night.

They say that money talks. Sad to say, but all mine ever says is good-bye.

If you think nobody cares whether you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

Colin  :icon_geek:

Just being nit-picky on the first item, but an odd number can be legitimate. If someone marries twice in the same year, the total number of people involved is three (the person and the two people they married). Hence, an odd number of people who got married that year.

Also, what about someone searching for his other half?  He must consider himself only as a half.  If he succeeds in his quest, then that union would count as a one. 
I think Colin has completely misunderstood this whole issue.

On 4/17/2017 at 4:10 PM, Graeme said:

Just being nit-picky on the first item, but an odd number can be legitimate. If someone marries twice in the same year, the total number of people involved is three (the person and the two people they married). Hence, an odd number of people who got married that year.

One rule that I've learned to be true is this: Never tell a writer or a teacher or an engineer a joke. They'll end up picking at it trying to find all the reasons why it's wrong.  :hehe:

On 4/17/2017 at 8:16 PM, Merkin said:

Wouldn't polygamous marriages also make the odd number possible?

This joke was based on the laws and customs in the US. But that doesn't include Utah. Or some parts of the South.

On 4/17/2017 at 9:04 PM, Cole Parker said:

Also, if you marry the same person twice, is that two, three or four people?

Only one marriage at a time (I said this didn't include Utah or some parts of the South), so 1 + 1 = 2.

10 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

Transgenders?

C

Not unless one of them has two heads, the kind attached to their neck.

7 hours ago, Merkin said:

Also, what about someone searching for his other half?  He must consider himself only as a half.  If he succeeds in his quest, then that union would count as a one. 
I think Colin has completely misunderstood this whole issue.

James, you think that I  have completely misunderstood this whole issue? Even in Utah and parts of the South they don't allow someone to marry themself. And don't even try going to the "what if they marry their dog (or etc.)" which isn't an option anywhere in the western hemisphere!

I've heard someone in England in the recent past wanted to marry her horse.  I think England is in the Western Hemisphere.  I'll have to check my map.

Of course, I don't think it was allowed, so your premise is correct.  Though I don't see the problem with it.  Marriage is a private thing, isn't it?

C