A video for you

I probably don't have the same sort of readers many of you do.  One recently wrote me about my musical tastes. He likes Baroque era music; I like Romantic.  We got into a discussion of Handel, Gluck, Telemann and those sorts of people vs. Brahms, R. Struass, Mahler and the like.  Neither of us convinced the other of how wrong they were.

But, he sent me a link to a Handel piece in response to my sending him a Mahler link.  He admitted he loved Songs for a Wayfarer, my link.  I have to admit I liked his link, too, but more for the singer, who's marvelous, than the composition, which indeed reeks of Handel, as it should as the fellow wrote it.

Have a look if you'd like:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sc7Y8Nn3uM

C

Cole - if you're Romance, hopefully you caught his (well, Mozart's) Laudate Dominum including a pitch perfect octave-and-a-third jump midway through. Superb.

(btw - any idea what horn is being used in the first piece? Some sort of trumpet but I've not seen one like it before.)

3 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Cole - if you're Romance, hopefully you caught his (well, Mozart's) Laudate Dominum including a pitch perfect octave-and-a-third jump midway through. Superb.

(btw - any idea what horn is being used in the first piece? Some sort of trumpet but I've not seen one like it before.)

It's an ancient instrument, one possibly even used in Mozart's time.  Just as there are 'natural' French horns in all keys, there were trumpets made the same way.  I assume this one is in the key of the piece.

I've never seen one before with holes in the bottom tube instead of valves, but again, early on, no one had yet invented valves.  I can imagine how difficult it was to learn to play this instrument when you're not at all accustomed to covering a hole with your finger as woodwind players must.

The kid is incredible.

C