Need To Impeach

dude

I've been a supporter of Tom Steyer and his campaigns in California. Here's another good idea that's worth supporting.

Colin  :icon_geek:

Just out of curiosity, what are the "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors" with which Mr. Trump is being charged as per Article 2 of the US Constitution?

Is he a bar-none jerk? Of course. An idiot? In terms of human relations and many other categories, most definitely. Not my choice? Absolutely. But the US Constitution doesn't offer a "do-over" clause. Trump was elected in accordance with that Constitution for a four-year term and I suspect the Founding Fathers are having themselves a good laugh (or cry) right about now. At the very least I'd suggest that the American Electorate is as self-conscious and disappointed in itself as ever since 1776. Maybe next time we'll do better - and I don't mean Oprah!

And NO, for the record, Mr. Trump did not, would not, will not ever receive my vote. 

Impeachments in the past haven't necessarily involved criminal acts.  In our latest involving Bill Clinton, he was guilty of moral turpitude , not a criminal act.  But Trump may well be guilty of crimes.  A president has strict guidelines to follow in his dealings with foreign powers.  As he seems to think he's a law unto himself, I doubt very much he paid much attention to the laws of the land.  He doesn't in business, and he's treating his presidency as just an extension of that.  There are other laws he well may have broken, and there's no question he's brought shame onto the nation he leads.

There is no absolute and accepted definition of 'high crimes and misdemeanors' that I'm aware of, but his actions to date seem much, much worse than the ordinary definition of misdemeanor.

C

Just don't forget that Mike Pence is waiting in the wings.  There's a fascinating profile that, for me, reveals the dire threat this man would be to our nation if he ever were to become president.  It's in the October 23rd issue of The New Yorker magazine:  "The President Pence Delusion".  Well worth a glance.

9 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

In our latest involving Bill Clinton, he was guilty of moral turpitude , not a criminal act. 

President Clinton was actually charged with two criminal acts, Perjury and Obstruction of Justice. They were pretty flimsy charges at best and rightfully adjudicated as such. The whole "Perjury" charge was in fact based on his infamous quote "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is", but when his denials came under oath that moved into criminal law territory. At least Andrew Johnson's charges had some substance to them, but in the aftermath of the US Civil War and assassination of Lincoln the country didn't need another crisis. (And Nixon bailed out before Congress got around to specific charges.)

So in both previous impeachments people got the criminal charges sorted out before calling for heads. This time, that has yet to be the case, and as such makes it all look like a personality clash instead of a legal claim. And the Legislative Branch of the US Government is no place to resolve personality clashes!

I guess we could wait till formal charges are brought, but then the argument would still exist: are these high crimes?  I wish we wouldn't wait; we don't really need to.  Congress can and should act.  Why wait till he starts a nuclear war, or at the very least continues his current traipse along the path of bringing shame to the nation and travail to the weakest members of it. 

C