My Incredible Summer by Cole Parker

Altimexis

My Incredible Summer is another Cole Parker masterpiece that illustrates just how inadequate the rest of us are as authors. We all tend to alter the use of language to fit out characters, simplifying it for kids, altering it for the uneducated or those born elsewhere, but how many of us can so dramatically change language usage over the course of a story so effectively to reflect the evolution of the main character. I've made allowances for changes in language over the course of a character's lifetime, but I've never changed it so completely to represent a character's evolution over just a few months.

The story starts out with Jody as an unfocused young teenager with nothing much to do during the summer vacation before his last year in middle school. His language is tangential, he flits from one thought to another aimlessly, changing the topic several times before getting back to telling the original story he set out to tell. There is no real substance to his speech. In short, Cole created a character who was so annoying as to make me seriously wonder whether or not I wanted to continue reading. But this was Cole's story and I knew I'd be rewarded if I just stuck to it, and I did.

The transformation in Jody over the course of the story is remarkable, as he evolves from a timid, self-absorbed, apathetic young teen to a confident, self-assured, out and proud young man in love with a guy who complements him well. The change in Jody is gradual, yet remarkable. The entire tone of his language, his demeanor and his use of words changes completely.

Incredible.

Thanks, Steven.  Such praise from you in noteworthy.

While I have the opportunity, let me advise for a moment.  The story posted here is actually the CW version.  Mike's promised to correct my error sometime this afternoon.  The stories are about the same; the only difference is the spiciness that appears in the middle.  Colin ran his vacuum cleaner over it and sucked out all those adult lines.

But, if you haven't read it yet, you might wait a few hours before setting out.  If you like your fare spicy!

C

Not only is this a great story, but the lad in the picture at the top is absolutely adorable.  Another story with fabulous picture accompaniment.

Since I just read the story today, on the AD site, I assume this is the "un-vacuumed" version.  I must say that even so it really is pretty tame as this kind of story goes, so the CW standard really must be "family friendly."  And is that scene where Jody gets Li to put his head underwater even permissible?

There are some great quotable quotes in the story but I don't want to spoil anything.

R

One of the things that was flagged was "dick tag"... the basic rule for CW is, "Would you be in trouble if your mother read this story?" CW is here for pre-teen and teen readers.

Colin  :icon_geek:

On September 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Altimexis said:

My Incredible Summer is another Cole Parker masterpiece that illustrates just how inadequate the rest of us are as authors.

Oh please. No false modesty, please. Cole is great, no doubt about it, but you, and many others here, are hardly inadequate. 

An absolute gem of a story.

Cole, somehow you keep reaching into that well and drawing up gold. The character development, the relationship between the boys, the relationship between the twins, the 'spicy' scenes, the relationship with the parents and the dad's character and character development, Li's character, and, of course, the obligatory handling of the bully.

Well done. I mean, I hate to sound like a broken record when I comment on your stories, but, there it is again. Well done. And, more importantly, thanks for writing this. I enjoyed it immensely.

You guys cannot believe what Cole goes through with every gem that leaves his pen! He frets, needlessly, with each chapter and edit. Paco and I never saw the censored version, and my younger brothers would probably put finger to mouth at any attempt to hand them such. But, we understand the reasoning behind Colin's site.

Thanks again, Cole, for a wonderful story that inspired several good cuddles while Paco listened and I read.

Paul 

6 hours ago, Merkin said:

I love Cole's stories, and I especially love the ones that I can begin and finish reading all on the same day.

I know what you mean, but I've been known to extend my day till 5 a.m. the next morning. Admittedly that's easier now that I'm retired from regular work. 

• 2 years later...

I found the picture below to represent Jody's cute Chinese neighbor Li Cheng and posted it in the thread for "Growing Pains."  It seems more appropriate to post it here.

So here is my proposed image of Li Cheng, the boy Jody discovers living in the apparently vacant house behind his:

portrait-of-13-year-old-asian-boy-smilin

R