The Cabin in Maine by Alan Dwight

Oliver

Bumped into this one, just roaming on AD to have something to read. 

I wanted not too much, because I have to write for my own site in Dutch. Not too much distraction.... ?

There was one chapter, that couldn't do any harm, could it?

Shouldn't have done that. I got hooked. Six chapters already, with a great development; caring, sweet, coming-of-age theme, with some extra twiches I am not goint to mention here to avoid being the big spoiler for people who haven't started this story yet.

But you should!

Thanks Alan, I like it a lot. Isaiah and Kieran are in my mind, and I am curious how they will figure it out together. I am confident they will!

14 hours ago, Oliver said:

I wanted not too much, because I have to write for my own site in Dutch. Not too much distraction.... ?

You should have known better. There is no such thing as "just one chapter" when it comes to Alan Dwight's writing.

14 hours ago, Oliver said:

You should have known better. There is no such thing as "just one chapter" when it comes to Alan Dwight's writing.

On October 6, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Altimexis said:

Hell, there's no such thing as just one story either. Talk about binge reading this weekend. Sore butt, sore eyes, tears and smiles and even laughs out loud. ????

Hi Oliver, yes it was a fast ending.  That's partly because the story lay fallow for a long time while I spent time having and recovering from neck surgery.  The surgery left me, at least temporarily, with no feeling in my hands.  That makes it difficult to touch-type. I've embarked on a new story with the help of a voice-recognition program which works well except that it seems to have lost one of my chapters, which I shall now have to reconstruct. Anyway, thanks so much for writing.

I read each week's chapter of The Cabin in Maine as it was available because after reading chapter 1 I couldn't wait until the next was posted, etc. etc. Especially since at the beginning I didn't know how many chapters there were going to be. What if it had been 18? or 34? or 62? That would have taken way, way too long to wait for them all to be posted.

Colin  :icon_geek:

Thanks Oliver and Colin. I'm fine. And thanks for your comments. I believe I will post the next story all at once, as that's the way I like to read them.  

Arrghhhhhhh

For the first time, Alan posted-at his request- a novel serially.  We fast tracked it like we do with most stories these days at two chapters a week (one each on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  At eight chapters it only took four weeks.  But you guys complained.

Now you guys go and talk him into posting all at once... a practice we seldom use anymore at AD.  That means that his story is likely to be overlooked by readers who do a quick scan of the Current Serial Novels on the homepage. 

Grrrrr ?

Sorry about that. As you may remember, I usually post my stories all at once, because when stories are posted serially people tend to lose track of the beginning by the time they get to the end. However, I shall reconsider. My next story is probably 12 chapters long which would make it six weeks. We shall see. Thanks for your concern, Alan

To be honest, I like the sequel of two times a week, or even once a week.

If a story is complete, I always hesitate to start, because of the amount. 

(And the knowledge of being unable to stop halfway. ? )

The extra benefit is that the characters are "with you" for several weeks, combined with the curiosity of what will happen a few days later. It makes a story more "alive".

I think the issue is not so much that of 'all at once' or serially, but the time between serial releases. If it's a few days, or a week, it's not really a problem, but if the gap is enough to forget important bits, or lose the tension of the moment, it becomes a serious concern. Some ongoing stories I follow have such a gap between chapters (months, and in one case 6 months) that I need to reread several chapters before reading the latest, and that's frustrating. So much so that I've dropped reading them. Hell, just one momentary lapse of judgement and refreshing my history and they're all lost. As it sits right now I've got 12 open tabs for ongoing stories. One accidental refresh and 12 stories could be gone. ? I can only hope they finish soon. 

That said, I much prefer the continuous mood swings, joy, angst, frustration, love, and yes, horniness, of a finished story. In most cases stories are like music, to be experienced in a continuous flow, not one verse or movement each week or month. Or, in movie terms, extended-time chapters is like serializing the classics. Gone With The Wind in 12 weekly releases. Back To The Future in 18 monthly episodes. Intolerable.

There is a problem for story sites: If novels are posted only when they are complete, more submissions are needed to encourage readers to return on a regular basis. This is a problem for both AwesomeDude and Codey's World.

And yes, the following is an advertisement. Advertising is required to keep story websites alive and posting!

Both AwesomeDude and Codey's World need more stories to be submitted by more authors. So if you're an author who writes stories for either or both of these sites, or who would like to write for either or both of these sites, please put fingers to keyboard and write a story. A novel, a short story, flash fiction, a poem. Whatever forms you write. You can send an email describing what you'd like to write. You can check the submission guidelines here for AwesomeDude and/or here for Codey's World.

Thank you!

Colin  :icon_geek: