Cannabis legal nationwide, federally and provincially, in Canada as of midnight tonight

Canada is about to become the 2nd nation in the world, and the first so-called 'first-world' nation to have nationwide federally legal cannabis.

The federal legalization is significant from an economic, political, legal, and social framework, as it frees up banking, postal, trade, and other hugely problematic issues in places where there is local legalization or tolerance but federal prohibition.

Naturally, the news sites, radio stations, TV, etc, all all abuzz on the stone cold effects and consequences of this burning issue. Everyone is in a haze wondering what will happen. Definitely a joint issue for everyone, and it'll be interesting to see how we hash this out from a grass-roots level so we don't end up in the weeds. I think it's a real potluck question about what will happen when the smoke clears.

The first pot shop plans to open at exactly midnight in Newfoundland, about three hours from this moment, and the proprietor plans to to be one half of the very first fully federally legal cannabis sale in Canada, by selling some weed to his father at exactly midnight.    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/newfoundlander-aims-to-be-1st-independent-retailer-to-sell-legal-cannabis-in-canada-1.4865031

Never tried it, and unlikely to start now. My reactions to drugs, and foods, are often so unusual that I try to avoid anything different, as I never know how I'll react. I'm happy everyone is happy though; it's high time they righted the wrong of its prohibition. Now to get all those criminal records expunged. 

On 10/17/2018 at 12:25 AM, Gee Whillickers said:

Naturally, the news sites, radio stations, TV, etc, all all abuzz on the stone cold effects and consequences of this burning issue. Everyone is in a haze wondering what will happen. Definitely a joint issue for everyone, and it'll be interesting to see how we hash this out from a grass-roots level so we don't end up in the weeds. I think it's a real potluck question about what will happen when the smoke clears.

:w00t: What splendid copy for such a spliffing splendid day!

I was stunned that Oklahoma legalized medicinal marijuana. I thought it was one of the signs of the Apocalypse.  I don't use anymore, but I support it's legalization. My nephew was injured in an accident and became addicted to opioids (Big Pharma will burn in Hell for how they have addicted so many in America to their poison). Cannabis can be such a far more effective substitute and far less dangerous. My nephew might be alive today had he had legal access to medicinal cannabis. 

On a lighter note, I was amused to see a picture of the Canadian flag with the maple leaf substituted by a marijuana leaf! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm for anything that makes us less of a police state.

When I was a kid I drove a truck with deer rifles in the gun rack to school. Granted- they were locked in the racks and had trigger locks. No one even NOTICED.

Anyone who might accidently do that today would probably get a hellfire missile in their face.

You have to have the perspective of being alive for a few generations to see how far the country has slipped in the direction of authoritarianism.

PS- For those of you where it's legal, cannabis tea is WONDERFUL for arthritis and rheumatism- especially when its related to cold weather. Might want to go light with it and have some snacks around if you are new to it.

The most asinine thing the Feds (Canada) did in regards to cannabis is make recreational SMOKING legal, whilst keeping oils, foods, and infusions illegal. We've spent decades trying to get people to stop smoking (tobacco), so it's completely illogical to make smoking the only one you can use. 

20 hours ago, Trab said:

The most asinine thing the Feds (Canada) did in regards to cannabis is make recreational SMOKING legal, whilst keeping oils, foods, and infusions illegal. We've spent decades trying to get people to stop smoking (tobacco), so it's completely illogical to make smoking the only one you can use. 

I was amazed, so I visited here: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/cannabis/

Just a year to wait for those brownies (available at all good supermarkets near you) - unless you bake them yourself....

What is legal as of October 17, 2018

Subject to provincial or territorial restrictions, adults who are 18 years of age or older are legally able to:

• possess up to 30 grams of legal cannabis, dried or equivalent in non-dried form in public
  • share up to 30 grams of legal cannabis with other adults
  • buy dried or fresh cannabis and cannabis oil from a provincially-licensed retailer
    • in provinces and territories without a regulated retail framework, individuals are able to purchase cannabis online from federally-licensed producers
  • grow, from licensed seed or seedlings, up to 4 cannabis plants per residence for personal use
  • make cannabis products, such as food and drinks, at home as long as organic solvents are not used to create concentrated products

Cannabis edible products and concentrates will be legal for sale approximately one year after the Cannabis Act came into force on October 17th, 2018.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:02 PM, Trab said:

No problem. You just have to bake, or slightly singe, your pot. Once it's smoking, you're good!

I only wanted it to be legal on the condition that every recreational user has to admit they are addicted to it and it does cause long term harm to your brain and lungs. But that didn't happen 😞

That being said, I do think its a step forward as its a pretty harmless addiction and no reason for smokers to be locked up in jail for smoking a bit of weed on Friday night. Plus one of my boyfriends was stoned the entire three years we were dating. But he wasn't addicted to it, he just wanted to smoke the moment he woke up, no addiction. 🙂

J

• 3 weeks later...
On November 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Jason Rimbaud said:

But he wasn't addicted to it, he just wanted to smoke the moment he woke up, no addiction. 🙂

So, let me get this right; if he wanted sex the moment he woke up it wouldn't be an addiction either. Each morning, for three years. Sounds right to me. 👍

On 11/21/2018 at 8:10 PM, Jason Rimbaud said:

I do think its a step forward as its a pretty harmless addiction

Perhaps we need to get the terminology clear: cannabis whose active ingredient is THC does not cause any physical addiction, unlike some other drugs, including tobacco. It is possible to become psychologically dependent, a condition labelled cannabis use disorder, but such dependency is purely a mental state and applies to a minority of users. So as @Jason Rimbaud mentioned his boyfriend being continuously stoned for three years, from morning to night, was/is not an addiction. If he chose to stop, there would be no physical withdrawal symptoms.

The one important fact to consider is the strength of the cannabis (amount of THC). If you draw an analogy with alcohol, the percentage proof of an acholic drink is an indicator of how little you need to consume and how quickly you become intoxicated. There the similarity ends, a potent amount of cannabis may well induce mind-altering properties, the downside of which is paranoia. Making it legal can only be good, because the user should then know it's pure and what strength, potentially avoiding bad side effects, and as a bonus, no more criminal activity.

8 hours ago, William King said:

Perhaps we need to get the terminology clear: cannabis whose active ingredient is THC does not cause any physical addiction, unlike some other drugs, including tobacco. It is possible to become psychologically dependent, a condition labelled cannabis use disorder, but such dependency is purely a mental state and applies to a minority of users. So as @Jason Rimbaud mentioned his boyfriend being continuously stoned for three years, from morning to night, was/is not an addiction. If he chose to stop, there would be no physical withdrawal symptoms.

The one important fact to consider is the strength of the cannabis (amount of THC). If you draw an analogy with alcohol, the percentage proof of an acholic drink is an indicator of how little you need to consume and how quickly you become intoxicated. There the similarity ends, a potent amount of cannabis may well induce mind-altering properties, the downside of which is paranoia. Making it legal can only be good, because the user should then know it's pure and what strength, potentially avoiding bad side effects, and as a bonus, no more criminal activity.

@William King Thanks to you I just spent the last four hours doing research on this topic. 🙂 Its nice to be unemployed.

I hadn't really dived deep on this topic as I never cared either way. But you got me wondering that perhaps my thinking had been skewed so I found a ton of information that seems to disagree with your above claim.

https://www.verywellmind.com/cannabis-use-disorder-22295

https://www.samhsa.gov/disorders/substance-use.

I don't have any personal experience with cannabis, but there seems to be a consensus that cannabis does have numerous negative affects on your body/brain. Very interesting either way. Thanks for bringing this up, I learned a lot about this subject.  

Jason

On 12/14/2018 at 12:16 AM, Jason Rimbaud said:

...I don't have any personal experience with cannabis.

...one of my boyfriends was stoned the entire three years we were dating.

Jason, unless your boyfriend went outside to smoke, or your lungs work in an alternate dimension, you were 2nd hand smoke wrecked, bombed and befuddled. A stoned puppy, even if you didn't toke....

On the other hand I can say: "Me? Na, I've never done it, honest guv." Ahem. I might be fibbing, but I'll sort it all out in the confessional. :icon10:

Now, please excuse me. I have to go and feed the pink pixies and the unicorn. :icon12: