Next Tuesday

Joe

I believe that when the dust settles next Tuesday.  The Democratic Party will reclaim the House with a number of seats to spare; the Democrats will retake the Senate by one seat.  Here's looking at you...

Don’t bet your house on it. I was watching A program on CNN  earlier about the dirty tricks the Militant Tendancy in the Republican party  are using the try and rig the outcome of elections. Gerrymandering and all kinds of vote surpression techniques. 

Presumably the disenfranchised are taxpayers. What happened to ‘No taxation without representation’ or was that just a convenient slogan to pay lip-service to until you got your own way?

Of course it was lip service.  Why look at our capital city.  We don't let them vote.  And look at our Monroe Doctrine we didn't issue that until we'd checked with Castlereagh to be sure the Royal Navy would enforce it.

Not to worry.  I've bet nothing.

Joe appears to have been prescient. The broadcasters, including Fox News, all say that the Democrats have taken control of the House of Representatives and the Republicans have retained control of the Senate.

Colin  :icon_geek:

Many pundits are claiming this is a repudiation of Trump, that this was a referendum on him and his policies and thuggish tactics.  If that's indeed true, perhaps this is the beginning of the end for the sort of politics we've put up with since the campaign for the presidency began prior to the 2016 election.  We can only hope . . .

C

I see it more as a push-back than a repudiation.  There's a long way to go.  Breaking Trump's hold on the Republican Party is going to take massive effort.  I'm no political strategist, but I believe the Republicans are still thrilled at their so-easy access to Trump's base.

The Dems have two years to groom a charismatic opponent to run against Trump.  They need to get busy.  Right now I have no idea who'd be capable of taking the abuse he'd get thrown at him and come up smiling.  We all know what a dirty fight it'll be.

But I'd like to thing the country is tired of Trump's blather and will not be so swayed by it this next time.

• 1 month later...

I rather like Beto O'Rourke just now.  His run against Cruz was formidable and dramatic.  I bet he'd carry Texas were he running for president.  Still a long way to go.  I like Joe and Bernie too, but I think that they, like me, are a little too old for the job.  It will be interesting, but I confidently predict a Democratic victory.

• 2 weeks later...

I fear we will be having four more years of Trump. There is no one at this moment who can successfully run against him. Unless he does something monumentally damaging, or completely slips into dementia where they can't hide it from us, he will win. It is very difficult to beat a sitting president and Democrats have never been united as Republicans. 

I do think Gavin Newson will run in the elections after the next one, after he completes 4 years as California governor. That is something I am fearful for, I am living in the mess that is San Francisco he left as Mayor. 

J