Gene Robinson prayer omited by HBO

E.J.

HBO blames Inaugural Committee for omitting gay bishop's prayer

by David Edwards and Muriel Kane, PageOneQ.com

The mishandling of an opening prayer by Bishop Gene Robinson during Sunday's pre-inaugural concert at the Lincoln Memorial is re-igniting a controversy that had seemed to be dying down.

Not only was the openly gay Episcopal bishop's invocation omitted from the televised presentation of the concert offered on cable and satellite systems by HBO, but a malfunctioning speaker meant Robinson was almost impossible to hear even for many of those watching live on the Mall.

Read The Rest HERE

I don't know what happened to the opening prayer and yes I would have preferred that it had not been mishandled as it was; but the link that E.J. provides led me to discover the two hour YouTube presentation of the Opening Inaugural ceremonies at the Lincoln Memorial, known as We Are One.

I am not ashamed to admit that my tears fell as the young man sang the American National Anthem. Marvellous, but then again, for me it was more than just waving the Star-Spangled Banner.

The tributes given by the popular stars of the American entertainment world, that followed the Gene Robinson prayer were in many ways at least as moving as the actual inauguration, and well worth watching.

If nothing else comes of Obama's Presidency, then I think it is true to say that he has already provided us with hope for the future.

My own thoughts, my hopes, if you will permit me, not as an American, which I am not, not as an Australian which I proudly am, not even as an inhabitant of Earth, which we all are, but that my aspirations have been restored that there is a possibility that mankind can inhabit the Universe in peace and harmony with all life, as children of the stars.

That is the message of chance, of opportunity, that I get from the change provided by the American people electing an African-American to the office of President.

If nothing else comes of Obama's Presidency, then I think it is true to say that he has already provided us with hope for the future.

I too had such emotions as Des of hope and elation over hearing the words spoken during the inaugural ceremonies, but I found out how far reaching those words actually were when I read from the following link.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/civil_rights/

It includes President Obama's full agenda. But it's more than that. That page represents to me a total change from the paranoia of the previous administration to real openness in government. Virtually EVERYTHING that we have been hoping for, fighting for is there.

I was so overcome by the completeness of his agenda regarding GLBTQ rights that I shed a tear of joy...and then another...of real hope.

I too had such emotions as Des of hope and elation over hearing the words spoken during the inaugural ceremonies, but I found out how far reaching those words actually were when I read from the following link.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/civil_rights/

It includes President Obama's full agenda. But it's more than that. That page represents to me a total change from the paranoia of the previous administration to real openness in government. Virtually EVERYTHING that we have been hoping for, fighting for is there.

I was so overcome by the completeness of his agenda regarding GLBTQ rights that I shed a tear of joy...and then another...of real hope.

This agenda is wonderful. This is real change, a move back to what?s important in the Bill of Right, important for everyone -- straight, gay, or whatever.

Colin :icon1:

End Deceptive Voting Practices: President Obama will sign into law his legislation that establishes harsh penalties for those who have engaged in voter fraud and provides voters who have been misinformed with accurate and full information so they can vote.

I found this humorous considering the whole ACORN fiasco.

Expand Hate Crimes Statutes: President Obama and Vice President Biden will strengthen federal hate crimes legislation, expand hate crimes protection by passing the Matthew Shepard Act, and reinvigorate enforcement at the Department of Justice's Criminal Section.

I am adamantly against any time of "hate-crime" legistlature. Assualt is assault and murder is murder and reguardless of the movtives any assault or murder is a crime of "hate". All hate-crime legislature does is to make someone who is not a minority feel that if they were assaulted or murdered that their life is not as important as someone elses. We in the LGBT community constantly advocate for equality, yet we want special treatment when it comes to punishment for crimes against us? How about we fix the current system that is flawed instead of trying to push new laws.

Repeal Don't Ask-Don't Tell: President Obama agrees with former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Shalikashvili and other military experts that we need to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The key test for military service should be patriotism, a sense of duty, and a willingness to serve. Discrimination should be prohibited. The U.S. government has spent millions of dollars replacing troops kicked out of the military because of their sexual orientation. Additionally, more than 300 language experts have been fired under this policy, including more than 50 who are fluent in Arabic. The President will work with military leaders to repeal the current policy and ensure it helps accomplish our national defense goals.

Nice thought, but I'll believe it when I see the proposed legislature.

In the end this is just an agenda. While I would like to see some of this passed into law, it is still to early to tell if our new commander in chief will follow through or just be like the majority of his predecessors. He already state in his Inauguration speach that the economy is "worse than he thought" and won't be able to fix it as fast as he promised. That and his chief financial advisor stating that the jobs created under BO's stimulus package are not for "white male construction workers". Forgive me if I'm anything but skeptical and yes, I am still bitter about the turnout of the election. If only America could stray away from a 2-party system, Barr could have had a snowball's chance.

This is the most positive, hopeful thing I've read all day. It gives me a lot of optimism for the future. At least is sounds like a step in the right direction. Let's hope Obama can follow through and make these things happen.