Ordinary desires

I'm not all that sure about posting this one - it went in a direction I wasn't planning to go. The words, though, they wanted to be said, and who am I to refuse them?

Ordinary desires

by Pete

We say we're tired of fighting,

when we're lost for things to say.

We hope we'll end up smiling,

but get lost along the way.

For all we've done,

the fight's not won;

there's still more things to say.

It's said to be convention,

but I just can't understand

why religious intervention

sets the statutes of the land.

It's not the ring;

a simple thing -

I want to hold his hand.

I'm not all that sure about posting this one - it went in a direction I wasn't planning to go.  The words, though, they wanted to be said, and who am I to refuse them?

Welcome to the world of poetry........it happens a lot that you start out with one idea and end up with a completely different idea. Words are wonderful but powerful and it pays to let them go where they want sometimes.

I like the way you write...the idea behind the poem is very clear and stated with the minimum of words. Keep at it Pete!!

Codey

I'm not all that sure about posting this one - it went in a direction I wasn't planning to go. The words, though, they wanted to be said, and who am I to refuse them?

Those Muses are really something aren't they?

I just wish they would leave me alone at 3am BUT if that's my regular stop on their route, who am I to complain.

Hey, I like this. When I read it the first time, I didn't quite know where the poem was heading until the last stanza, which was very well done because it really does capture the situation. And on second reading, things get more cleared up, and the poem feels stronger. My interpretation is that the speaker is encouraging us to continue fighting, but that, in the end, the fight isn't for the fight, or for the ring -- it's for the right to simply "hold his hand."

I also like your flow and rhythmn, how you try to keep it structured. Good job!

dcorvus