Joe College

vwl

• 7 months later...

Damn, this is a good story. The author's little asides and interludes are hilarious, and I laughed out loud at being reminded of my freshman year in a dorm at Florida State. Very funny, and very warm and human, and his dialogue is snappy as hell. Damn good writing.

I'd prefer the focus be on Andy at UC Berkeley (a.k.a. Cal), since I'm a grad student there. That would be very interesting for me!

Doug, Chris, Steve, and I didn't booze it up at Cal. We were focused on classes and each other. We had no reason to party hard because the focus of that is hooking up, and we were and are already hooked up (me and Doug, Chris and Steve). We did party, but they were more sedate hang-outs with nothing stronger than beer (which I am actually allergic to – it's the brewer's yeast; having allergies sucks – and besides I don't like the taste) and no drunks (usually).

Good story, BTW. It's always refreshing to read a story with a college student focus. I'm only on chapter 5 so there's a long way to go and not a lot of time for recreational reading.

Colin :icon_geek:

The story takes some dramatic turns at a certain point, some that I honestly didn't expect. Let's just say we've all had life experiences where you encounter somebody who gives off some vibes, you're not exactly sure that they're gay, maybe they're bi, whatever... and some of them never go through with it. And there's also asexual people who you figure may never be with anybody. This story handles a character like this very well, and I gotta say, I was genuinely surprised by what happened.

The emotions here feel very real, and very surprising. One chapter violates my famous rule of not changing points of view, but I'd say it falls into the 1% of novels where it works because it's almost a standalone chapter that fills in all the blanks of quite a few other chapters, revealing some startling truths we didn't suspect. I'll say no more, except goddamn if this isn't the best novel I've read in a year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That was very good... but I get the feeling the author is kind of holding back, just treading water before the denouement. Having said that, the writing quality is really superb.

• 3 months later...

Absolutely terrific story. The author tells me in email that we're about to hit a very dramatic turn, so hold on. The relationship seemed a little too idyllic, so it seemed about time for something to happen.

I agree with VWL -- this is one of the best Net stories of the year, as far as I'm concerned.

• 4 months later...

Ah, thanks for the alert, VWL. I'm glad that JPM has finally hit the endgame, and we have a sense of where the ending is going. The last few pages of this chapter were cryptic, and I'm not sure if I agree with the structure, but the essential writing is very good and thoroughly compelling.

Ah, thanks for the alert, VWL. I'm glad that JPM has finally hit the endgame, and we have a sense of where the ending is going. The last few pages of this chapter were cryptic, and I'm not sure if I agree with the structure, but the essential writing is very good and thoroughly compelling.

I think this is probably more five act than three act, and we're (finally!) moving to Act III. And I haven't tipped my hand to anything that wasn't heavily hinted already -- seemed better to make it fully explicit, as opposed to teasing people or dangling a series of potentially manipulative cliffhangers. Hopefully the how and why of what happens, and subsequent fallout, will be more compelling than the fact that these guys part ways.

Thanks so much for your ongoing interest and enthusiasm, guys. Can't tell you how flattering it is and how much I appreciate it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like somebody kidnapped the author's account and shoved this chapter in! It has little or nothing to do with what's been happening! Hep me, pleeze! :angry:

And I did watch the first three seasons of The Wire, and generally enjoyed it. It's a very downbeat show, and it's about a world I know nothing about -- lowlife drug dealers in Baltimore and the cops who are desperately trying to stop them -- but it's a very well-acted, well-written show.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Another chapter is up: http://www.nifty.org//nifty/gay/college/joe-college/joe-college-30

An excerpt that captures the story's theme:

"I was better at being an undergrad than I'll ever be at anything else.

From beer pong to Chaucer to indie rock to Edmund Spenser, I found the

person who I was meant to be, in a place where it was all accessible, where

my enthusiasm was rewarded. That person had a life expectancy of three

years and nine months, but he might still be the person I'm meant to be

when I'm 65, and 75, and dead."