A TIme When It All Went Wrong by Colin Kelly

There's the matter of age, too, when they're all in Davis. The relationships between parents of teens and preteens if much different. Teens are beginning to find their focus outside the home. They're nearing the age of independence, and they don't rely on their parents anywhere near the degree they did before. In Davis, I'd expect Tony to continue growing apart from his parents, and from the way they have acted, his parents having no problem with that. They've been more interested in their own careers and lives than in Tony for some time.

I think this is usual, now, in our society. Housewives used to command and steer the life of the family. Then women left the home to get jobs because the economy required it, especially in middle-class families. So often, the family dynamic changed. And women changed, too, feeling their worth change, their responsibilities change. This is evidenced throughout this story. As it is in so many families today.

A sequel to this story begs to be written. There are so many questions still to be answered. Tony hasn't finished his journey by an stretch of the imagination.

C

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the story begs a sequel.

How do Scott and Tony maintain their relationship with miles between them.

How about Tony's football career at his new high school and how will the new team relate to a gay freshman playing varsity football?

Lots to ponder. We've already invested a lot of time and interest in Tony... let's not let the ball drop now!

I’m all for pushing Colin toward writing a sequel, not only for the reasons stated above, but also because I’m fascinated by the family dynamics Colin is so good at revealing. Thanks for the bio note, Colin, it helps a lot to clarify the ‘norm’ for your California families which I confess I was a bit bewildered by early on in the story.

Some of my confusion may be regional; here in this corner of the old South the families I am familiar with tend to be much more aware of their kids, with the father still in charge and the mother still in control and the kids taught from early on to say ‘Sir’ and ‘Ma’am’ when addressing their parents. The kids, no matter how loosely reined in by the parents, are still viewed as representatives of the family out in public and children straight through the teen years are made very aware of certain expectations for their conduct and public demeanor. I’m talking white middle-class here, not unlike the families portrayed in Colin’s fine tale.

Of course old-school Southern families make for exquisite tensions and serious dysfunction, and give rise to the genre known as Southern Gothic.