Wikileaks Damage

I know some people think all this information hacked and recently posted on the internet by Wikileaks is necessary and very cool. But Julian Asinine (spelling intentional) has not been careful and the revelations have intruded in the private lives of people around the world.

Take for instance the Saudi man's private medical records that reveal he is gay, and in a country like Saudi Arabia where homosexuality can bring the death penalty. Other instances of medical records revealing names and addresses of sick children, clinical patient records of private psychiatric meetings....where does it stop?

Should Wikileaks be responsible for the death of anyone I would call for the arrest and murder conviction of Mr. Asinine. Drag his butt out of that embassy and shoot him in the street. He doesn't care what this hijacked information reveals, it's all ego food to his sick mind.

He likes to claim the moral high ground and tell everyone he is just exposing evil government actions. I would support an international legal prosecution and a stiff penalty for hackers of all stripes. Or take a page from the Saudi playbook and just cut off their hands so they can't use a keyboard.

I have at various times argued that Assage, Snowden and Manning were NOT heroes but criminals.

There's reason for this:

First, they were all Information Technology professionals like myself. For whatever reason they disclosed the information, it's a gross violation of professional ethics. Believe me, I've seen stuff as an IT guy that I may have WANTED to disclose but it would be the kiss of death to my IT career and another blow to the profession.

Second, when whistle blowers disclose giga-bytes of data just for shits & giggles, there's no oversight, there's also no filter on the data. This can and does disclose innocent peoples personal information. In the case of government data, it can put many lives at risk.

Finally, when you take one of these jobs, you swear an oath. I know it's old fashion but I can see no honor in breaking it.

• 1 month later...

​Several international organizations have traced the information flow from Wikileaks to the Russian State, specifically the GRU, their intelligence services. Although Wikileaks purports to be a journalistic endeavor so far they have done little to remain true to that initial statement of purpose.

The hacking of the Democratic National Committee, and John Podesta emails, all trace back to this same source. It would not be untrue to state that the Russian government is attempting to interfere with the American elections. The GRU spies have been actively seeking hacked information and feeding it to Wikileaks and the founder Julian Assange.

As an entity on the internet there may be little any government can do, although private internet companies can block the Wikileaks source, and may do so with the right amount of pressure. Mr. Assange could certainly be charged with espionage, and may already have been by a grand jury meeting in secret. That would be nice.

These Cold War tactics by the Russians will only come back to bite them in the ass in years to come. They are sliding away from the democratic approach to government they once touted and are once again becoming a totalitarian force guided by Vladimir Putin. If sources were to publish the intimate details of Putin's financial dealings it would be interesting to see if Wikileaks would post them. At this point Wikileaks is beginning to look like part of the Russian propaganda machine.

I have at various times argued that Assage, Snowden and Manning were NOT heroes but criminals.

There's reason for this:

First, they were all Information Technology professionals like myself. For whatever reason they disclosed the information, it's a gross violation of professional ethics. Believe me, I've seen stuff as an IT guy that I may have WANTED to disclose but it would be the kiss of death to my IT career and another blow to the profession.

Second, when whistle blowers disclose giga-bytes of data just for shits & giggles, there's no oversight, there's also no filter on the data. This can and does disclose innocent peoples personal information. In the case of government data, it can put many lives at risk.

Finally, when you take one of these jobs, you swear an oath. I know it's old fashion but I can see no honor in breaking it.

I'm in complete agreement with you, James.

Colin ;icon_geek: