Gay Pride Month and government

For the first time in eight years, the White House has dumped any notice of Gay Pride. President Obama went out of his way to make sure the country knew that government was backing the LBGTQ movement and supporting equal rights...not so that thing we now have as president.

However, I noted today that the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Labor Department made announcements of support. Good for them and their employees.

I don't know how anyone could have possibly expected anything different. Since the selection of Pence as VP, there was no way a Trump administration was going to be remotely supportive, regardless of that ridiculous point in his campaign where he claimed to be a "friend of the gay community". 

But the LGBTQIA+ community was probably going to get hit by any Republican who ran if they were elected, Trump's just probably the worst one that could've done so. 

Note, certainly not condoning anything here, but this definitely should've been expected once we knew who would be in the White House.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, Cole Parker said:

That probably means they'll soon be gone.  The Great Trupmpster doesn't like dissent the ranks.

Come on, Cole! The Trumpmeister LOVES dissent in the ranks. It gives him the ability to say, "YOU'RE FIRED!" just like he used to do on his so-called-reality TV show.

Colin  :icon_geek:

At the same time, the City of New York Mayor's Office seems to have deleted its official list of 31 gender identities (which, by the way, omitted boy/girl and male/female, for some reason). You can find the former link at http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/961-15/nyc-commission-human-rights-strong-protections-city-s-transgender-gender and search for the link at Read the full guidance here. It was there a week or so back. Gone today.

I'm not all that concerned, actually. In a sense I prefer the quiet acceptance of reality to the street battles of the past. For the most part the level of intolerance (at least regarding gender identity) seems way down in this country, and there's a couple of generations' worth of acceptance.

By way of comparison, I don't get nearly so upset as my Irish immigrant grandfathers at calling a police van a "Paddy wagon". Active or passive, it's progress.