Question about a TR poem

Trab

I read this, and my 'radar' immediately thought, "Uh oh. Something's wrong here."

"Would chill my flesh and warm my hearth"

Is it a typo? Should this be 'heart', not 'hearth'?

At the risk of speaking for TR, I'd say he intended to suggest both within that word, that is, "warm my hearth" and "warm my heart." It's close enough that, read or spoken, it connotes both.

Remember that, as poetry, the words are meant to suggest multiple connections; interpretation as well as literalism.

Sadly, I cannot appreciate poetry very much. My AS (Asperger's) makes me see only the literal meanings. When taking 'literature' and 'peotry' at school I got a whopping 43% average for the year. In other words, abject failure.

Take heart, Trab, the very fact that you can and do use language means that, on some level, you're processing both literal meanings and connotational meanings. Yes, I realize you may have trouble accessing or associating the additional meanings. -- I know, it may not be too comforting, but I'm trying to offer you an alternative viewpoint. Maybe it'll spark some useful way to manage things.

When I read a couple of articles on Asperger's, since I knew pretty much nothing about it, I ran across the term, "hyper-literate" or "hyper-lingual," anyway, something like that. They claimed that some Asperger's people can have exceptional language comprehension ability, and seemed to imply that such folks could even become swamped by too many points all clamoring for attention simultaneously.

I still feel like I know next to nothing about Asperger's Syndrome, but anything that would help understand it is welcome.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner but Blue is correct, it isn't a typo. I intended to say 'hearth', while suggesting 'heart'. After all, one literally warms oneself at a hearth, which also has the connotation of safety and home.

With poetry, as Blue says, most of the meaning is indirect, a function of feelings, sounds and connections rather than flat and clear definitions. Poetry is meant to invoke images in your mind, not necessarily literal pictures from the words.

Hugs,

TR

Sorry I didn't see this sooner but Blue is correct, it isn't a typo. I intended to say 'hearth', while suggesting 'heart'. After all, one literally warms oneself at a hearth, which also has the connotation of safety and home.

With poetry, as Blue says, most of the meaning is indirect, a function of feelings, sounds and connections rather than flat and clear definitions. Poetry is meant to invoke images in your mind, not necessarily literal pictures from the words.

Hugs,

TR

it's interesting that you use "hearth" though, TR.

"Would chill my flesh and warm my hearth"

that line is particularly chilling because of your choice of "hearth" over "heart". It is because of the verbal implications from the line. "Would" is a homonym with "wood". As we all know wood is used in a hearth as fuel for fire. Your diction creates a peculiar line. If just by itself it makes for a hauntingly 'serial-killer' tone. It sounds like maybe the speaker is suggeting they burn dead bodies in the hearth to make them warm. Sometimes we say in english that something warms us, as in it brings us joy. In this case the line would suggest that burning cold bodies in a hearth brings joy to the speaker.

he-he, just a little over-analysis for you. i thought it might put everyone in the creepy halloween spirit.

-Naiilo

PS - please dont be mad at me TR :)

Yeah, except for the serial killer thing. The poem isn't that kind of poem, though I do write, ah, serial killer romances, I guess (You Are So Cold, etc).

This is the poem Trab quoted from:

http://www.awesomedude.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=752

I DO have three poems here, thus far, with a specifically Halloween theme: Werewolf Moon, Ghost Kisses, and Vampire in the Park. Creepy love poems, one of my favorite flavors.

Spooky kisses...

TR

Yeah, except for the serial killer thing. The poem isn't that kind of poem, though I do write, ah, serial killer romances, I guess (You Are So Cold, etc).

This is the poem Trab quoted from:

http://www.awesomedude.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=752

I DO have three poems here, thus far, with a specifically Halloween theme: Werewolf Moon, Ghost Kisses, and Vampire in the Park. Creepy love poems, one of my favorite flavors.

Spooky kisses...

TR

Oh, I remember that one now. Outside of it's poetic home it really is a creepy line. I had figured it wasn't serial killerish, but it added to the creepiness.

I suppose that I, too, shall have to post something halloween themed on here soon.

-N