I can't believe Trump said this!

On 2/23/2018 at 1:02 AM, colinian said:

The school resource officer, Scot Peterson, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was dismissed (he "resigned") because when he heard the shooting he never entered the building...

I'm pissed that Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel is dumping on Scot Peterson. He's being used as a sacrificial lamb. It lets the Sheriff divert attention from the failures of his department to respond to multiple warnings they received about Nikolas Cruz.

Colin  :icon_geek:

Sorry I missed this earlier. You've nailed it perfectly, Colin. Every hostage or gunman training scenario - law enforcement or military - includes two absolutes: NEVER go in alone and ALWAYS have situational awareness before you move. Yes, it's deadly waiting for reinforcements, but going in alone and unaware merely ensures another victim. It could even be a situation with multiple shooters, some waiting for the cops to attempt piece-meal assaults, and thus doubling the casualty count.

But we're accustomed to instantaneous resolution so we can move along with our lives and check out the next sale at Walmart. The cop who resigned, well, he should've been dead anyway so it's no loss. And he's already scheduled for retirement pay so stop complaining.

As for the fact that the "right to bear arms" is enshrined in the Constitution, it wouldn't be the first Amendment repealed (18 v. 21). For that matter, you and I can't own tanks, bazookas and machine guns now, simply by classifying them as military weapons. (Doesn't calling them assault weapons suggest they're not for defense?) Of course gun-makers are adept at evading restrictions but perhaps we can find lawmakers adept at writing better laws. Yeah, I know. Santa and the Easter Bunny.

16 hours ago, William King said:

The USA comprises 4.4% of the world population and has 42% of all the firearms in circulation on the planet.

Source: Challenges Magazine - challenges.fr

An interesting statistic, but I can't track down if it's true or anywhere near so.

For comparison, Wikipedia lists the US per 100 capita guns as top, with 101. Basically one per person. Okay. That's ~300 million guns and that's half of the world's guns? Methinks the French might be involved in a bit of creative accounting. Or - shock - some nations could be denying some of their figures. Or we can all reread "How to Lie with Statistics" (Huff, 1954) and understand their frequent meaninglessness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country 

What is somewhat more worrying about the gun statistics for the USA is that 50% of the guns privately owned in the USA are owned by 3% of the population. 

I'm afraid we're being too abrupt and critical of trump.  We need to remember that, as a youth, he was repeatedly in combat with bone spurs and fought them heroically to a standstill.  As such, he is a combat veteran and we should all listen carefully to his opinions because of this valuable experience.  He really should have a medal.  He could give himself one now.

Much as I despair with what I see in the political thinking in the Western World, there are times I come across something that gives hope. Finding this video was one of those times: