LAIKA by Elecivil

As long as he hasn't gone over to the Dark Side and started matching all those mismatched socks....

I'd love to see a new chapter too. I miss 'em. I get the feeling things are about to start interconnecting.

Let's hope I'm not sensing the lint clogging the dryer and interconnecting to make brand new socks to replace all those lost ones.... :icon1:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

It's been almost two months since the last chapter. It's not finals month and I know you aren't engrossed in the current chapter of Ragnarok, so what's the hold-up?

I know, I know...should have finished this one by now. Working on it, though.

I tried really hard to get it finished while I was still on break, but it just wasn't happening.

As long as he hasn't gone over to the Dark Side and started matching all those mismatched socks....

Don't even suggest it, man. Matching your socks is the first step to matching your shoes, which is only steps away from matching the rest of your outfit. It's a slippery slope.

• 4 weeks later...

"Laika! Here, boy, here, fella, here...." OK, you're not Laika, but I'm not complaining.

"Where's Bran, Laika? Where is he? No, he didn't fall down the well, did he?" (Hope not, that'd be a real drip-off point.)

"Where's Nick, Laika? Where is he, boy? Not in the grape juice again, huh?" (Yeah, but how would that explain purple hair...?)

* Note: Nick hasn't actually had purple hair yet. Ya never know....

OK, so I'm mixing a Russian space dog and an American collie. Did you ever wonder if Lassie got tired of that weird Timmy kid? ...Never mind that, as a kid, I didn't find Timmy even slightly dorky. I wear my geekiness proudly I tell you! Fight the power! :: raises fist :: (Militant geekiness... now there's an idea....)

^ Hmm, I may be on a roll here, for character and dialogue.

Anyway, more to the point, I miss Laika! A lot!

I finished chapter 13 today. I just need to do a final run-through/edit and then I'll send it in.

Man, this one took a long time to write. This wasn't like other chapters, where I just couldn't write anything for a long period of time, either. I was working on this one all the way through. But, I like what I ended up with, so it was worth it. I'd do the final edit now, but I'm dead tired, and I'd probably screw it up. So, I'll probably send it in tomorrow (at night, because I work all day).

Hi-ho.

I'd do the final edit now, but I'm dead tired, and I'd probably screw it up.

If you're too tired to think, see, or type, yeah, sleep's great. Bedtime. -- I won't even ask about mismatched socks in bed.

Hi-ho.

Now I have this weird image of Kermit and the Dwarves doing a punk rock cover....

Casabianca

The boy stood on the burning deck

Whence all but he had fled;

The flame that lit the battle's wreck

Shone round him o'er the dead.

Yet beautiful and bright he stood,

As born to rule the storm;

A creature of heroic blood,

A proud, though childlike form.

The flames roll'd on...he would not go

Without his father's word;

That father, faint in death below,

His voice no longer heard.

He call'd aloud..."Say, father,say

If yet my task is done!"

He knew not that the chieftain lay

Unconscious of his son.

"Speak, father!" once again he cried

"If I may yet be gone!"

And but the booming shots replied,

And fast the flames roll'd on.

Upon his brow he felt their breath,

And in his waving hair,

And looked from that lone post of death,

In still yet brave despair;

And shouted but one more aloud,

"My father, must I stay?"

While o'er him fast, through sail and shroud

The wreathing fires made way,

They wrapt the ship in splendour wild,

They caught the flag on high,

And stream'd above the gallant child,

Like banners in the sky.

There came a burst of thunder sound...

The boy-oh! where was he?

Ask of the winds that far around

With fragments strewed the sea.

With mast, and helm, and pennon fair,

That well had borne their part;

But the noblest thing which perished there

Was that young faithful heart.

Casabianca

Love's the boy stood on the burning deck

trying to recite "The boy stood on

the burning deck". Love's the son

stood stammering elocution

while the poor ship in flames went down.

Love's the obstinate boy, the ship,

even the swimming sailors, who

would like a schoolroom platform, too

or an excuse to stay

on deck. And love's the burning boy.

Just in case anybody was curious about the title.

I haven't had a chance to read the new chapter yet. That'll happen tonight.

Those poems are fantastic. I don't know why I didn't read more poetry or literature when I was younger.

I think I'm in for a real treat when I read Laika 13.

Chapter 13 was worth the wait. :icon10:

Brandon and Nick make such a sweet couple. I don't think I was ever that innocent.

I was more like Stewie from the Family Guy: in diapers and still pinching the cabana boys butts. To this very day I'm still banned from Cabanna.

:icon_geek::icon11::icon10:

“Even if you didn’t need me to hold you, I’d probably want to do it anyway.”

And that, right there, is why I absolutely love this story.

Profound, playful, heartwarming, and just utterly sublime.

I have missed this so very, very much, and right now I just can't stop smiling.

Thank you - this was exactly what I needed right now.

-- Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me draft chapter 14. It was pretty good. I think you are hitting your stride.

It was fun how you gave Mark a job at the lab. I think he?d earned it. But that bungee accident is pretty risky from a writers perspective. Broken bones are one thing, but amnesia is just such a clich?. A lot of people might feel insulted. But I can see where you might take it. I just guess there won?t be any more hugs for a while.

I think the best part was the line about the hamsters and the transvestites. Your mind is so delightfully weird.

• 10 months later...

Whoa, the last post in this thread was in March of '07. That's almost a year. And there haven't been that many chapters between then and now. Eep.

Okay, here goes. Before this time next week, expect to see the following:

Chapter 16: "Feint of Heart" - Final chapter! (75% complete)

Epilogue: "Fast and Intense" - Just like it says! (50% complete)

Afterward: "The Space Dog Has Landed" - For it is an ill wind that blows no minds! (100% complete - this was actually written after the first couple chapters, and used as a road map for where I wanted the story to go)

And maybe, some time in the near future, if there's any interest in it, a comprehensive list of every band, musician, and song referenced (either overtly or subtly) in "Laika". (0% complete)

I know it's been roughly forever and a half since the last chapter, so if you're the type that likes to re-read a bit before getting to the new one, here's a heads-up. Likewise, for those of you who don't like to start an incomplete story, it won't be incomplete for long.

Hi-ho.

Whoa, the last post in this thread was in March of '07. That's almost a year. And there haven't been that many chapters between then and now. Eep.

Okay, here goes. Before this time next week, expect to see the following:

Chapter 16: "Feint of Heart" - Final chapter! (75% complete)

Epilogue: "Fast and Intense" - Just like it says! (50% complete)

Afterward: "The Space Dog Has Landed" - For it is an ill wind that blows no minds! (100% complete - this was actually written after the first couple chapters, and used as a road map for where I wanted the story to go)

Fantastic! Wonderful! Marvelous!

And maybe, some time in the near future, if there's any interest in it, a comprehensive list of every band, musician, and song referenced (either overtly or subtly) in "Laika". (0% complete)

Yes, yes, YES! Interested I am! Post the band/musician/song list, please, pretty please!

I know it's been roughly forever and a half since the last chapter, so if you're the type that likes to re-read a bit before getting to the new one, here's a heads-up. Likewise, for those of you who don't like to start an incomplete story, it won't be incomplete for long.

Hi-ho.

What a coincidence that in this post you mention how long it's been since chapter 15. I read it when it was first posted. February 1st, the night before this post, I read chapter 15 again and it seemed almost like something I hadn't read before. That's what happens when it's been so long back that I've read something, then later reread it.

Colin :shock:

Guess what I saw today?

Socks with the days of the week printed on them.

So if I mix them up I would not be able to tell whether they are yesterday's socks or today's.

What if I put on tomorrow's socks by mistake?

I suppose I should worry about that tomorrow, for,

Tomorrow is another day.

Cue theme music as the house rides off into the sunset.

I decided against buying them.

:shock: