Maddy

Trab

Has anyone else read any of Maddy's material? She is quite prolific on her Yahoo Groups site. This is her self description: "I am Madison Dante also known as Maddy A., a GIRL : ) who reads and writes gay male fiction."

I've read a bit of it, and I find it very difficult to deal with. Probably because it's really not well written. One thing that is very noticable is that not one of her characters seem to be able to simply speak. They are always shouting, screaming, or yelling. But she does seem to have quite the following.

Moderator edited to resolve problem with web address.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaddyA_Stories/

Wow, that's kind of creepy. 2000+ members of a list for an author who says:

Welcome to my yahoo group! I am Madison Dante also known as Maddy A., a GIRL : ) who reads and writes gay male fiction. My stories are mostly romantic by nature, plot orientated and contain interracial themes of love between Black, White and Latino characters and some deal with very dark themes such as abuse both physically and sexually, self injury more commonly known as "cutting"and suicide. I will try to post something new as time permits. There are also a few other authors here so check out there stories too. If you see a story that you like and want to see it updated quicker, then post a message letting the author know.

Okay, where to begin with my thoughts. She's a girl writing gay fiction about cutting, suicide, abuse, interracial gay relationships, etc. According to other notes on the list, she writes about real people in her stories, though makes them gay and makes up all the detail. I haven't yet looked at a story but I'm already thinking this is ....weird. She also can't spell.

TR

Wow, that's kind of creepy. 2000+ members of a list for an author who says:

Welcome to my yahoo group! I am Madison Dante also known as Maddy A., a GIRL : ) who reads and writes gay male fiction. My stories are mostly romantic by nature, plot orientated and contain interracial themes of love between Black, White and Latino characters and some deal with very dark themes such as abuse both physically and sexually, self injury more commonly known as "cutting"and suicide. I will try to post something new as time permits. There are also a few other authors here so check out there stories too. If you see a story that you like and want to see it updated quicker, then post a message letting the author know.

Okay, where to begin with my thoughts. She's a girl writing gay fiction about cutting, suicide, abuse, interracial gay relationships, etc. According to other notes on the list, she writes about real people in her stories, though makes them gay and makes up all the detail. I haven't yet looked at a story but I'm already thinking this is ....weird. She also can't spell.

TR

It's fiction - what is wierd about a girl writing about boys or a straight person writing about gay people? I write about Americans (or rather USAeans) despite being European. My problem is the writing is pretty bad - bad enough that it's a great effort to wade through. The darkness of the stories might be interesting and interracial themes would be welcome if it weren't for the issues of literacy and a misunderstanding of staging and sequencing!

sumbloke

Well, I DO think those things are weird, at least worth comment (she obviously agreed because that's the first line of her intro) but that wasn't what I was saying.

I think her subjects look awful, her grammar pathetic and the whole thing just...icky. So, I thought to myself, why's she got 2000+ members on her yahoolist?

I scanned through two stories, at least the first parts, and found too many spelling and grammar errors to make reading comfortable so I have no idea if she's a good storyteller.

Maybe you can tell me why she has such a large yahoolist? Is it just the dark, trendy, trashy subjects? Are her sex scenes super-hot? Has her list been around for years and years?

TR

I haven't read her stories, as far as I know, though I might've run across one and not recall.

It would make me wonder for someone to have a large member list, given what she says about the themes she covers.

What would bother me is, why are dark themes a focus? Even if she's had someone close affected by something like that, why make it the primary subject matter? -- I don't have a problem with a woman or a straight person writing gay fiction. Hey, if it's well written, good, more! I'm fine with interracial stories. Hey, that shouldn't even be an issue. If the characters are presented truthfully, and not as cardboard cutouts, that's good. I'm alright with some difficult issues being covered too, if they're done with respect and real thought. But, um, I wouldn't like seeing such themes sensationalized or glorified or treated without the truth such things need. On the whole, I'd rather see writers handle a wide range of topics.

-----

Update:

I haven't read her stories, though she has five starting since Oct / Nov 2004, and two deal with abuse, and another starts out with one person hating another based on shallow reasons. She states she feels those things are wrong. Alright, if she deals with it in the story. Otherwise, why have several stories that focus on such things? The yahoo group started rather large on its first day, and is open for membership without requiring approval by the list owner or a moderator.

Without reading them I'd say, be cautious about content. Something's unusual there.

Trab, thanks for being cautious and asking about it. It's a puzzlement.