Rutabaga

Life Can Be Lonely by Colin Kelly

On 8/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, Cole Parker said:

Colin:  To stay ahead of these guys, when you're into the last few chapters, add a few more place holders you aren't going to use.   No reason for you to loose this battle.

C

I simply removed future place holders for upcoming chapters. Makes a little more work for me, but not enough to complain about, and it solves the guessing game problem... Bwaah Ha Hah! HAH!

Colin  :icon_geek:

2 hours ago, Camy said:

I have two plausible theories!

Number 1 would be difficult to plausibleize because of a large number of witnesses.

(BTW, Plausibleize is actually a word, defined by Webster, 1913 as: v. t. 1.  To render plausible. And by definitions in six additional dictionaries.)

On 8/22/2019 at 8:34 PM, Rutabaga said:

I just find it remarkable that Kevin is holding up so well -- indeed, at all -- after such a gruesome event.  

R

To go with Camy's plausibilized suggestion, Kevin is a mass murderer, a psychopath guilty of  familicide, which I guess is suggested by how anal he is with all his lists and planning ahead and scheduling.  I would guess such a person would hold up very well and be somewhat insensitive what he'd done.

Of course, arguing against this is that Colin would never in this or any other imagined universe write such a character.

C

3 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

arguing against this is that Colin would never in this or any other imagined universe write such a character.

Why not?

Colin's chosen a particularly vicious and violent inciting episode for a novel with the innocuous title 'Life can be lonely.' I'd happily accept that his family died in a car crash and that Kevin is a somewhat anally retarded chap: wrapped up in schedules, lists, and with a penchant for matching graphing calculators. But with the set up Colin chose... not a snowball in hells chance.

A nice try at obfuscation, Cole, but no. Sorry. 😎

I can't believe that Colin would have spent all this time making Kevin a sympathetic character only to reveal him as a murderer.

What really baffles me is that Kevin has been left on his own all this time, living in a murder scene and apparently ignored by law enforcement conducting what I presume is an active investigation.  Even more bizarre is setting an appointment weeks in advance to discuss the case.

9 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

...  Colin would never in this or any other imagined universe write such a character.

6 hours ago, Camy said:

Why not?

Because Kevin is quite obviously Colin's alter ego. He's thoroughly organized, methodical and uses all the latest digital tools and devices with expertise to aid him in being so. How is that not like Colin?

Generally, fifteen chapters into a novel I have some idea of where it's going. With 'Life Can Be Lonely' I have no effing gorram idea. Not a clue. Nada.

However:

Possibly disastrous spoiler... possibly not.

I'm now whimsically plausibilizing that Kevin was murdered too: the entire novel is taking place inside his head in the instant before death.

Ah hah! My job here, so far, is successful! Keep 'em guessing!

'So far' is the key, Colin. Your luck won't last forever!

:w00t:

On 8/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, Camy said:

Generally, fifteen chapters into a novel I have some idea of where it's going. With 'Life Can Be Lonely' I have no effing gorram idea. Not a clue. Nada.

However:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah hah! My job here, so far, is successful! Keep 'em guessing!

'So far' is the key, Colin. Your luck won't last forever!

:w00t:

Yes, all good things must come to an end... someday.  On the other hand, it's like having a really great kid; it's very hard to let them go.

Unfortunately, work intervened and I didn't have enough time to finish chapter 16 of Life Can Be Lonely. It will be posted next week.

Since everything else was ready, that's what's been posted including the final chapter of Talo Segura's novel, Milo. This is definitely worth reading. I highly recommend it.

I also posted a Codey's World From Our Archive short story, Tipping Crows by Colin Kelly.

14 hours ago, colinian said:

I didn't have enough time to finish chapter 16 of Life Can Be Lonely.

Oh dear. Trouble at mill.

'Still, never mind, eh.' As my mate Mick is wont to say.