Swordpoint by Ellen Kushner

This is the first of the Swords of Riverside Trilogy. Let's say from the start, it is not an easy read, you have to work on it. It is, however, a fascinating read. Set in a world of swords, but no sorcery, this is a fantasy novel without magic. It is set in an unnamed city, in a country where nobles defend their honour at the point of the sword. The thing is that they do not do the fighting, they hire swordsmen to fight in their place, often to the death. In such instances the loser's patron will excuse themselves and retire to the country, for a period.

The swordsmen live in Riverside, what was once the centre of the city but is now a derelict area occupied by whores, thieves, con-men and swordsmen. It is here that we find our main protagonists Richard St Vier, probably the greatest swordsman in the city,  and his lover Alec. It is from this base we view the machinations of the nobility as they try to use Richard St Vier for their own ends.

As I said from the start, it is not an easy book to read, it is though one well worth reading. I enjoyed it so much, I have just ordered the other two books in the trilogy.

Swordpoint is available from Amazon in paperback and Kindle formats.