An interesting trend.

I have noticed an interesting trend recently. On three or it might be four occasions when listening to programmes which have referred to Alan Turing, the speakers have made no mention of his homosexuality. Even a couple of years ago, this was always mentioned in connection with Turing. What is more interesting is that two of the speakers mentioned Turing's death. One stated it was unexplained, the other just that he was found poisoned in his bed, no explanation as to how. It appears Turing's rehabilitation is becoming complete, as per his image on a banknote. Just hope they do not forget that he was gay.

I had noticed this too. If it is an indication that in 2019 homosexuality is not scandalous or newsworthy or of public interest, then that is great. I hope it is not an indication that bigotry is resurgent, and that being gay is returning to the category of 'things one doesn't mention in polite company'. However, since the media where I have encountered such articles about Turing recently have included such bodies as the BBC, who are very tightly bound by their guidelines on diversity and inclusivity, I reckon it's the former. In which case, Three Cheers! And long may it continue.

I’m not sure if it is the cynic  or the paranoid in me, probably both, but I am afraid I consider the second of Bruin’s two hypotheses to be the more likely. The BBC is under attack on a number of fronts and they might feel they have mentioned Turing’s death and homosexuality enough in the past and have no wish to stick their heads above the parapet and give their detractors yet more to aim at.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, Pedro said:

I’m not sure if it is the cynic  or the paranoid in me, probably both, but I am afraid I consider the second of Bruin’s two hypotheses to be the more likely. The BBC is under attack on a number of fronts and they might feel they have mentioned Turing’s death and homosexuality enough in the past and have no wish to stick their heads above the parapet and give their detractors yet more to aim at.

Well, yes, Pedro you may well be right. Sad to say...

On the other hand, we no longer refer to those who are "left handed" where that used to be common: it's not considered a defect any longer. Perhaps we're beginning to move to a time when those who are gay aren't referred to as such because we're starting to enter a time when it won't be considered a defect.

Colin  :icon_geek: