String Boys by Amy Lane

I am generally a fan of Amy Lane's books. This one, however, is one that I found challenging to read, but well worth reading. As a young boy Seth finds the two great loves of his life, the violin and his best friend Matty's younger brother. However, bringing the two loves together is not the easiest of things, especially when the environment you are growing up in conspires against you and your best friend turns into a religious bigot. The book deals with the impact of a violent sexual assault, alcohol dependency, drug use and religious bigotry. All these combine in one way or another to keep the two young lovers apart. Seth can't go home, Kelly can't leave because of the responsibilities that are piled upon them. 

In my opinion, though I am no doubt biased, this is one of Amy Lane's best books and so far I have not read one of her books that I have not liked. 

String Boys is available from Amazon as a paperback and on Kindle.

23 minutes ago, Bruin Fisher said:

I too am a fan of Amy Lane's books. My personal favourites are Freckles, and The Bells of Times Square. Freckles has a cute dog and a story doesn't need much more than that for me to enjoy!!

They are two I have not read, just purchased them. Once I have finished Homebird, I will have a read of them. So far, I have not come across a bad Amy Lane book.