Derick/Jake/Nick by Cole Parker

Camy

Cole Parker's 30th novel started posting this week.

Spoiler

A teen in extreme danger, having accidentally witnessed an assassin at work, is placed in witness protection.

All the elements for a thundering good story are in place and let loose.

All we have to do is hang on for the ride!

• 2 weeks later...

- Chapter 5.

I have questions and hopes... in no order:

What scheduling system do they use at Prescott High?
Did Ricco assassinate Kevin's family?

Spoiler

I sincerely hope that Derek decides to let Mr. Scott change his name on the school computer before Ricco arrives, and that Jeremy doesn't inadvertently burble the game away. Also, if Ricco does go batshit and assassinate them all, can I have Mr. Scott's house? :w00t:

I'm now panting (with a smidge of tongue lolling) for chapter 6.

- Chapter 6.

In this overly jaded world we're living in it's great to think there are adults like Mr Scott: kind, and without hidden agendas. That said, Derek/Jake/Nick seems very trusting. I'm not sure I'd be quite so laid-back if I knew I was being hunted by a killer.

Spoiler

There's going to be one very upset assassin, when Ricco finds out there's no Jake at the school! I hope Mildred Healy's daughter isn't hurt in the fallout.

Jonesing for 7!

Hallo what? Oh, damn. Yes, erm, close. Almost.

You're entirely forgiven for the cliffhanger. 8 was a super chapter.

Spoiler

1. I don't think Mr Scott will be too happy about Nick lying.

2. Except for guns the field is levelled, maybe even skewed, in Nick's favour.

3. Cool!

Nine, he bleats, NINE!

Odd, but by the end of this post I now have quite a good idea for Halloween. Looks like I've been Parkered.

:w00t: Ooooooo!

Spoiler

Nick and Gary sitting up a tree
K - I - S - S - I - N - G!!!!???

WITSEC would be soiling their underwear if they knew Nick was about to join a band... and play a gig.

Methinks Ricco might well visit The Bent Nail.

TEN!!!

Unh oh.  How do I know I'm reading a Cole Parker story?  By realizing I'm muttering 'unh oh' every few paragraphs. 

Spoiler

Derick/Jake/Nick seems determined that he can hide in plain sight.  Since he's run out of names I'll bet his guitar will betray him.  Better get a kelvar backplate for the instrument before Ricco/Wacko/Wrecko shows up to hum a few bars.

16 hours ago, Merkin said:

Unh oh.  How do I know I'm reading a Cole Parker story?  By realizing I'm muttering 'unh oh' every few paragraphs.

Reveal hidden contents

True, so true! Except I groan 'Nooooo..." a lot.

Spoiler

A while back I had a caffeine fuelled theory that Cole and Colin were writing a crossover, and their end chapters would post on the same day.

In it (the theory which is mine, not Anne Elk's) Ricco would be the killer of Kevin's family. Sadly, stylistic and geographical differences made me rethink, though I'm still vaguely hopeful Nick might stumble across a copy of The Dream Weaver.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:24 PM, Cole Parker said:

I love cliffhangers.  Especially when I'm the one writing them.

C

You're bad. 🙂
But the same here. Strangely enough I love it when people hate me for that. 😀

I like where your story is going.
Storywise.
Hate my fear for what Ricco is up to though.

Thanks a lot, Cole!

Depending on each reader's POV, Cole's use of cliffhangers is either famous or infamous — or in some cases maybe both. He seems to like them a LOT, both those which are obvious and those which are less so.

Colin  :icon_geek: 

1 hour ago, colinian said:

Depending on each reader's POV, Cole's use of cliffhangers is either famous or infamous — or in some cases maybe both. He seems to like them a LOT, both those which are obvious and those which are less so.

Colin  :icon_geek: 

Both! Definitely both.

57 minutes ago, Cole Parker said:

I'm sure everyone realizes there is a point to cliffhangers: they prompt people to come back to read the next chapter.  That's the principal reason I use them.

C

I'd happily read a menu, if you'd written it.