Derick/Jake/Nick by Cole Parker

Camy

On 10/14/2019 at 6:18 PM, colinian said:

Depending on each reader's POV, Cole's use of cliffhangers is either famous or infamous — or in some cases maybe both. He seems to like them a LOT, both those which are obvious and those which are less so.

Colin  :icon_geek: 

Well, you’re no slouch at cliffhangers yourself, Colin! 😉

1 hour ago, Richard Lee said:

Well, you’re no slouch at cliffhangers yourself, Colin! 😉

Oh, my! I've finally been caught!!  🙄

Colin  :icon_geek:

Not that this applies to Cole's stories, but I've been bitten so often by reading serial stories than end up with nearly terminal delays before the next chapter, that I now mostly wait till the story is completed, and then binge read it. A cliff hanger is not much of one if you get to the next chapter a minute later.

That said, there are some scoundrel authors who change the point of view (character followed) for one or more chapters, so creating a cliff hanger even for the binge reader. 

4 hours ago, Trab said:

...there are some scoundrel authors who change the point of view (character followed) for one or more chapters, so creating a cliff hanger even for the binge reader. 

Unless you're writing in 1st person, changing the POV character is quite normal.

It get debatable, and annoying, when the author 'head hops' - changing characters multiple times within the same scene.

14 hours ago, Camy said:

It gets debatable, and annoying, when the author 'head hops' 

I guess I just learned a new term, "head hops".  Yes, well if the author head hops for several chapters after a cliff hanger, even a binge reader is hung 🙀😺😺😺😂.

• 2 months later...

Finally got a chance to read this, and was glad to do it in a full pass without waiting for weekly postings.

So, some comments:

1.  Is it "Derick" (as in the title) or "Derrick" (as in the story text)?

2.  Mildred was a real surprise.  Seems like she knew someone akin to the adult character in "One Summer in Georgia."

3.  +1 to the 50s oldies.

Happy New Year to everyone!

R

• 2 years later...