It’s the birthday of Edward L. Stratemeyer

Merkin

It’s the birthday of Edward L. Stratemeyer, born in Elizabeth, New Jersey (1862), who created the Hardy Boys, the Bobbsey Twins, the Rover Boys, and Nancy Drew. After writing about 150 books of his own, he created a company called the Stratemeyer Syndicate with a team of ghostwriters to write books based on his outlines. He swore everyone to secrecy and even invented fictional biographies for the imaginary authors. The Stratemeyer Syndicate went on to publish about 700 titles under more than 65 pseudonyms. It still sells about 6 million books each year.

--from The Writer's Almanac for Friday, October 4.

Hey, Cole, would you be interested in taking this over ?

I wouldn't want to upset Franklin W. Dixon.

I read the Hardy Boys though about book number 28, I think, beginning with The Tower Treasure and House on the Cliff.  Too long ago to be sure what the last one I read was.  But those books were among the first books I began reading.  I think I was 8 at the time.

I read the Rick Brant, Mercer Boys, Tom Quest and Ken Holt books, too.  Great reading for young boys.

C

I, on the other hand, was brought up with Enid Blyton's The Famous Five. I had a collection of hardbacks that I wish I still had as they're worth a lot now. Sadly, Blyton was somewhat shunned by English teachers, who sniffed at her prose. But damn, they were fun!

The Comic Strip brought her back (whilst being sued by her estate) with a subverted pastiche 'Five Go Mad in Dorset', that's still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

So, may I present The Hardy Boys Flickering Torch Mystery, followed by The Comic Strip... enjoy.