A New Chapter of "Just Hit Send" by Grasshopper

E.J.

Thank you, oh rural hopping one.

May your spark always light the way for others.

Excerpt from "Land of Confusion" by Genesis:

Now this is the world we live in

And these are the hands we?re given

Use them and let?s start trying

To make it a place worth fighting for.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have something to say.

In 2002 or 2003, I first found Just Hit Send by Grasshopper. His story of two boys who both felt unlovable, one who had lost a loved one, the other who was handicapped, said something I needed to hear. It said there really were people out there who wouldn't care what I hid inside, that I felt unlovable too, because I was handicapped and had lost loved ones and because I was deeply closeted and questioning, and depressed.

Grasshopper's story is one of the things that helped me start to heal. I'll always be thankful for that.

I somehow couldn't get myself to read Parts 2 through 4, although once or twice, I read a new chapter that came out.

In August 2004, I came out to someone, in person, for the first time, because that friend cared enough to see I was having a hard time and didn't leave it alone until I'd opened up and talked. That straight friend's acceptance means a lot to me.

I reread JHS - Part 1 during that time. A couple of times, I emailed Grasshopper, simply to say thanks and give well wishes.

In 2004 and 2005, someone caused problems for Grasshopper, me, and others. -- I know of no reason to have anything but respect for Grasshopper.

This past weekend, I finally reread Just Hit Send Part 1 and then, for the first time, read all through Parts 2 through 4. I am amazed again: laughter; tears, happy and sad; anger; joy. I was totally bowled over. Some gay stories write about sex. Grasshopper writes about love.

Thanks, Grasshopper. May you find the wholeness you've shown others.

• 3 months later...