Leaves and Lunatics by EleCivil

blue

Thanks. I've already started on Chapter 8, so it shouldn't take nearly as long this time.

I feel for you, getting emails from readers wanting more chapters, like, yestereday! I'm trying not to let that happen again with DC.

I loved the new chapters, love the characters and your lovely facility with the language. Please keep writing!

Good luck with finals...

TR

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you, getting emails from readers wanting more chapters, like, yestereday! I'm trying not to let that happen again with DC.

What's especially funny about those demanding emails is the way they're usually from people who have never written in before, and who feel the need to type IN ALL CAPS WITH NO PUNCTUATION PLZ RITE MORE CHAPTERS NOW AND PUT IN MORE XXX THIS TIME DO U HAVE PICS KTHNXBYE! I love those things.

I loved the new chapters, love the characters and your lovely facility with the language. Please keep writing!

Good luck with finals...

Thanks again. At the rate I'm going now, I wouldn't be too surprised to have 8 completed by next weekend. No promises, of course.

I feel for you' date=' getting emails from readers wanting more chapters, like, yestereday! I'm trying not to let that happen again with DC. [/quote']

What's especially funny about those demanding emails is the way they're usually from people who have never written in before, and who feel the need to type IN ALL CAPS WITH NO PUNCTUATION PLZ RITE MORE CHAPTERS NOW AND PUT IN MORE XXX THIS TIME DO U HAVE PICS KTHNXBYE! I love those things.

Haha, I'm SO glad that other people get asked for 'pix'. I'm rarely asked for more sex, I guess DC isn't the most prim story out there. That is, if you can get past the Shakespeare, I'm told.

So...got pix, elecivil?? *snicker*

Kisses...

TR

Well, 8 ended up taking a few more days than I had expected, but it wasn't too bad. No month-long delays this time.

So...got pix, elecivil?? *snicker*

I do now. Story/author section. Bah, took me way to long to write that bio.

I got about a third of the way through Chapter 8 and will finish reading it tonight, I think.

I notice both TR and EleCivil have cool new avatars.

Pictures? :roll: I sorta like the characters the way I imagine them, unless the author wants us to know his (or her) own idea of them.

Pictures? :roll: I sorta like the characters the way I imagine them, unless the author wants us to know his (or her) own idea of them.

Oh yeah, I'm with you there. In fact, I'vealways preferred physical descriptions to be somewhat vague, too. You know, set up the basic characteristics, but let the reader flesh them out the rest of the way.

Oh yeah, I'm with you there. In fact, I'vealways preferred physical descriptions to be somewhat vague, too. You know, set up the basic characteristics, but let the reader flesh them out the rest of the way.

I thought we were talking about readers asking for pix of authors, which they do and its so odd! Even odder are requests for webcam or phone contacts... do they expect the character to answer the phone?

I like having general descriptions, I don't always like stories where characters are described TOO much. One exception, in my mind, is TLOT which does do a lot of physical description but it works for me. I know I keep mine kind of vague...I mean, should you really know, or do you need to know if a character is 6'4"? Can't he just be 'tall' and only when someone perhaps has to look up at him? I rather like that the physical descriptions are vague in L&L, they are blurs in my mind but that's how I read, I still love them.

Chapter 8: I love Andrew becoming a moron! The movie theater is nice, sweet, and its sad that he's moving away. Sudden but that's how it happens when you live at home, my parents moved a LOT and I HATED leaving all my friends. Being the new kid sucks big time and all you can think about are your friends you left back wherever. Worse would be leaving a bf, I'm so glad that never happened to me!

Andrew is adorable, extremely lovable. Jill is one of the better female characters I've read online, I'm glad you wrote her.

What did you read growing up, EC? What do you read now?

I still admire you facility with language, your imagery and seeming ease with English. Lovely to read.

Kisses...

TR

Yahoo Messenger: guildenstern75180

Thanks again, Tragic...jeez, you've got me blushing over here.

What did you read growing up, EC? What do you read now?

Hmm...when I was younger, I'd read pretty much anything. Mysteries, kids' horror like R.L. Stine and Bruce Colville, encyclopedia volumes...anything with words and paper. I used to love Gordon Korman's books. Those were easilly my favorite books as a kid. I got to meet Korman at a Young Authors' Conference when I was 11...cool guy. Wrote his first novel (which I've still got a copy of) while not paying attention during English class in high school. I didn't think about it before, but he's probably been my biggest influence.

Now I've been reading whatever looks interesting. "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by David Eggers and "Syrup" by Max Barry are some good examples. I've been re-reading "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card at least once a year since 8th grade...just can't get away from that one. I remember skipping school to finish it the first time. Now there's the sign of a true geek - skips school to read books. 8)

...Wow, I digressed the hell out of this topic. Ah well.

• 1 month later...

I reread chapter 8 and read chapter 9. I think I need to reread 7 to see if I've guessed a plot point. I wonder if others have guessed it too.

You keep surprising me with moments in the story. Simple ordinary friendship and love, both the silly stuff and the "awww" moments and the less fun parts of growing up. It's good to see your characters acting their age, being regular people. Oh, and Andrew's realization that he had also become a moron, terrific.

You have all the elements juggling and balanced in the story. Earlier, I'd wondered about conflict and plot, but you began solving that a few chapters ago, and that's also good now.

If I have guessed the one plot development, I am OK with that. I don't know if it's for sure, and I don't know what would develop from that.

I'm eager to see what happens next.

I reread chapter 8 and read chapter 9. I think I need to reread 7 to see if I've guessed a plot point. I wonder if others have guessed it too.

Well, I have been dropping a few hints toward something...I wonder if that's what you're guessing. You'll have to tell me if you were right after the next few chapters.

You keep surprising me with moments in the story. Simple ordinary friendship and love, both the silly stuff and the "awww" moments and the less fun parts of growing up. It's good to see your characters acting their age, being regular people. Oh, and Andrew's realization that he had also become a moron, terrific.

Heh, that moron scene seems to be a fan favorite - every email I've gotten since chapter 8 has mentioned it. It's kind of funny; I didn't plan for that scene at all, just threw it in as an afterthought.

If I have guessed the one plot development, I am OK with that. I don't know if it's for sure, and I don't know what would develop from that.

Hm...Now I'm really curious as to what you've guessed. I'd better hurry up and write, then.

Heh, that moron scene seems to be a fan favorite - every email I've gotten since chapter 8 has mentioned it. It's kind of funny; I didn't plan for that scene at all, just threw it in as an afterthought.

Definitely a favourite with me, too. It sums up so much in a delightfully simple way.

I'm really enjoying this, even if it sometimes takes a while for me to get around to reading the next chapter when it comes out. In many way it's the little touchs that make the story, such as the ending of the restroom scene in chapter 9, where he's checking his pockets. It makes all the characters really "alive".

Keep up the good work!

Graeme

In many way it's the little touchs that make the story, such as the ending of the restroom scene in chapter 9, where he's checking his pockets. It makes all the characters really "alive".

That restroom scene ended differently than I had planned, too, come to think of it. Originally, I had Cam accidentally picking up a marker from the sign-in table at the auditorium (the ones used to fill out those "Hello, my name is..." tags that they always make you wear at things like that) and later on writing a line from one of Nathan's favorite songs on the door of the stall ("Sometimes broken things make the best building supplies"). Decided it'd be better to cut all that and go simple instead. Seemed a bit too sappy, you know? Plus, I didn't want to go through the trouble of getting the copyright information and making a separate disclaimer for use of the lyric.

e,

just wanted to say hi and let you know that i've been reading for a while and am quite impressed with your writing. the moron scene was very good, but i have another favorite which is the scene in chapter7 when nathan re-unites with his father. the description is great, and very vivid. hehe, yay for alliteration.

another little comment, about the whole being geeky about books thing:

when i was 11, i was absorbed in a cynthia voigt book (if you haven't read anything by her, you should) and wouldn't take my nose out of it. my mom was dragging me shopping with her and was trying to talk to me as we drove. i of course was too busy with the book to pay attention to her. she got pissed off and said "if you don't stop reading right now, i'll never buy you a book again!" i looked up at her and then proceeded to laugh my ass off.

just thought i'd share that amusing anecdote.

blue as admin

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note to explain that plasticreality had some tech difficulties with her member name, which will be solved shortly. In the meantime, she re-registered with the plural (plasticrealities).

This note is to explain that once things are cleared up with her original singular name, she'll be back to it, and the plural one will go in the ol' bit bucket, lost in the ethernet, and so the plural one will show up as Guest rather than Member.

Just wanted to let y'all know everything's fine, she didn't drop off the edge of the web or anything. Being plastic, she's very adaptable. :)

~Blue / as forum admin

• 2 weeks later...

Another good chapter! I'd express frustration about still waiting to find out what happens after Nathan leaves, but I've just had a reader express the same frustration to me with FCL, so I won't say anything about that....

I liked the section with Jerry. It follows neatly from the previous chapters where he is expressing frustration with Nathan paying less attention to him than he used to.

Well done!

Graeme

Another good chapter! I'd express frustration about still waiting to find out what happens after Nathan leaves, but I've just had a reader express the same frustration to me with FCL, so I won't say anything about that....

I know what you mean - I've been feeling the same frustration about not writing that part of the story yet. I was originally planning to have Nathan leave about two chapters ago, but stuff just kept happening.

:smt022 waaahhh!! I don't want him to go either! I want 'em to stay and :smt008 be together.

:gloomy sigh: But of course, it doesn't always work that way.

Well, I'll bet ol' Nathan, er Clint, er...Nathan is gonna have a *very* unusual car trip back.

Cam's gonna have a rough time too.

And so are the fans. :sob, sniff, cry:

The EEee-vill Plot Bunnies have clearly been talking to you, EleCivil.

Well, that's where good story conflict comes from. Just watch those Ee-vill Plot Bunnies, they're very tricky. (That rabbit from the Trix cereal box is a total amateur.) ...Tragic Rabbit, however, has a deal with the Ee-vill Plot Bunnies... except I think they are holding the latest chapter hostage while he has the flu. Get well soon, TR.

Hey, I'm an official I bailed on The Confusion Sets In because of the drug use, too. That's always been a bail point for me, and it's lead to my almost missing out on some really good stories (For example, I almost bailed on Drama Club because of all the smoking).

Whoa partner. You're missing something.

Many gay teens get caught up in the drug culture because of the emotional turmoil that they are in or quite simply they end up there because they are outcasts and it's the only place they can fit in.

I know. I've been there. I kicked the habit long ago but to ignore this is to turn a deaf ear to yet another problem that is grinding up part of our community.

When I was a kid after a long hard day of sexual harrassment and getting beaten up, the only thing that could make me stop shaking and feel anywhere near normal was to smoke a fat joint. I have since discovered that is where many, many addicts start. They aren't doing it because they just want to give society the finger or just to have a good time. They've got underlying problems that a shrink would perscribe meds for if they were treated right.

Sure- if drug use is being glorified, that's not a good thing. As authors, treating this right is very important. It may look like fun and games but it far from it. Proper treatment in a stories characterization and plot as drug use/addiction really is- the silent desperation, pain and escape can serve as a strong message to gay youth and they need it.

Being gay is path laced with many landmines. Chemical dependency takes a horrible toll on us as it only makes a tricky road that much more difficult to navigate.

If you see a story with gratitiuos drug use- sure, go ahead and bail. If your writing one, tell it like really it is and you'll deliver a very powerful anti-drug message.

James -- Thanks for that comment. It relates to more than just drug use, too. All kinds of difficulties that surround dealing with, or not dealing with, being gay, whether someone is in or out.

I avoided drugs and alcohol, they just didn't appeal to me. Too much of a control freak maybe, or just my personality and how I was brought up, that it was either to be avoided (drugs and smoking) or done only in moderation (drinking), and when so done, no big deal.

But I did get picked on, even though I wasn't out. (In retrospect, that's yet another factor that makes me wonder WTF I didn't just come out.) I did see friends picked on. It was bad sometimes.

My response was to hide in the proverbial closet, and have problems with getting depressed. Coming out has begun to solve that logjam.

Yes, all kinds of problems dealing with daily gay life.

Good that you said something, for the authors and the readers.

James -

I know what you mean. I didn't mean to say that I immediately close any book that has drugs in it. When I said that I bailed at drug use, I was talking about excessive/glorified drug use - the ones that just throw in lines like "...and then Bob went home and smoked four joints" as filler, without addressing anything else about the issue.

Blue -

Thanks for the comments!

James -

I know what you mean. I didn't mean to say that I immediately close any book that has drugs in it. When I said that I bailed at drug use, I was talking about excessive/glorified drug use - the ones that just throw in lines like "...and then Bob went home and smoked four joints" as filler, without addressing anything else about the issue.

Cool- then I think we're on the same page.

I read the Confusion Sets in and from a sociological stanpoint, it's really quite revealing. Kid in a one parent home, little supervision, gender issues- that's a child at risk. It's a formula that plays itself out every single day in all of our cities and towns- usually with bad results. It grinds people up and spits them out.

That's what a lot of my teen years were like. As f-ed up as it sounds, it was a lot more socially acceptable to be a head than a fag. I could hide in that subculture and find acceptance.

Believe it or not, heads (potheads- as opposed to people that use other things) are really dear sweet mellow people for the most part. They are lonely kids, angry kids, gay kids, divorced kids, abused kids, neglected kids, poor kids, rich kids and sometimes even eagle scouts.

They tend to be socially awkwark or very smooth, fat or skinny. Disturbed or normal.

If you get where I'm going, they are alot like us. Some are open while others are quite secretive about smoking out and you would never know. It is a culture all it's own.

It's interesting for a number of reasons- primarily because people need to know. Ignorance screws people up faster than anything. Kids ignorance, parents ignorance, teachers ignorance.

Hell, my parents used to like me better stoned because I wouldn't fight with them. How's that for a crazy, f-ed up, mixed message?

• 2 months later...