"Promises to Keep" by Grasshopper

E.J.

This is, to my mind, one of the best things that Grasshopper has written, and given the outstanding quality of his previous work, that's saying a great deal.

I've just read the whole thing in one sitting (all 9 chapters plus the epilogue are up), and I'm sitting here at 1:30am still taking it in. I haven't been so moved by a story in a very long time.

This is one of those stories that you simply must read - I give it the highest possible recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to like this story, but once again, the author leans on the amateur trick of alternating points of view! That kills me, because there's a terrific idea for a story at the core of this thing.

If Grasshopper could rewrite the story in 3rd person, I'd be able to actually go through every chapter without wincing. But without that, I feel like the kid in The Exorcist getting holy water tossed on her: "it burns! Arrrrgh, it burns!"

Very disappointing. But in spite of that, I much prefer this Western tale's overall message to that of Brokeback Mountain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still think this is a well written story with a lot of heart and a good message. The story hit very close to home for me. I hope for as nice an outcome. Thanks, Grasshopper.

• 3 years later...

I just hope he's well. That accident must have really screwed him up badly, physically, and maybe, just maybe, psychologically. I used to get personal emails back when I wrote him, but nothing since the accident, despite me writing him. :icon11: