Tim Comes Home

I've often wondered if haggis tasted as foul as it sounds.

C

It is delicious, at least the good ones are, avoid the mass produced supermarket ones.

Even living in the land of the wild Haggis it isn't something I would want to eat every day, although as it happens my local award winning Fish & Chip shop does a very nice line in "Haggis Bites," if you don't fancy fish with your chips. Deep fried of course, the're delicious, and No, they don't do deep fried Mars Bars.

My recommendation would be "don't knock it 'till you've tried it." - as with several goumet foods it's one of those things that it's best not to think too much about before or whilst eating - e.g. some wonderful cheeses smell like s*** but actually taste sublime, squid, shellfish and Foie Gras spring to mind too, and then there's that the expensive Kopi Luwak coffee that's been round the block so to speak.

If you can get to a properly done Burns Night supper with good haggis, neaps & tatties, and a few drams of decent whisky to wash it all down with then IMHO it's not to be missed. Once a year is probably enough. Of course you also need someone who can recite Burn's "Address to a Haggis" in the proper dialect.

Nigel, I've been with you 100% with just about everything you've written on this forum. On this particular subject, um, well, let's agree to disagree. Knowing what's in haggis, and how it's prepared, 'delicious' is not a word that would come to mind.

Cole something can be totally delicious and totally disgusting at one and the same time. Being delicious is about a combination of taste, smell and texture. In a well made haggis these three things come together. Haggis has one of the most intense Umami taste experiences available in traditional European food.

Being disgusting is about our perception of certain food products, generally brought about by modern advertising. Most people today refuse to eat offal which I think is a major failure on their part. They are allowing a large proportion of an animal that has been killed for its meat to be discarded. Actually they are generally not discarded but get hidden in mass produced foods where you do not expect them, like sausages. That something is disgusting is very much based on your social conditioning.

Fortunately there are now signs that foodie culture is now moving back into using offal - which has traditionally been a main element of the common peoples diet.- and there are some exciting dishes being served in some of the top European restaurants.

A food product which was quite common in the part of England where I live is Faggots, a product which is made from products very similar to the Haggis, except that Faggots are made from pig parts rather than sheep's parts. There is a local Michaeline starred establishment which servers Faggots as part of its menu. Like Haggis they are, if properly made, totally delicious.

Haggis does actually taste quite nice. It doesn't do to think about what's in it, any more than what's in a frankfurter or any other sausage...

Everyone knows what hot dogs are made from. Lips and assholes. It's better if you don't ask what you're eating. I have a high end chef for a brother. He's made haggis many times.