Anyone speak Latin?

Hey all,

I have an idea for a story title with a Latin pun, but since I don't speak Latin, I want to know how to say it properly.

Ex Libris Libertas

-- Does that translate to, "Out of (a/the) Book(s) / Library, Liberty (Freedom)" ?

-- If not, what would be the correct way to word it, and still retain the pun on book/library and liberty/freedom?

In French: "Du Livre, Libert?" and in Spanish, "Del Libro / De La Librer?a, Libertad." (Hmm, "Par Le" or "Por El" might be more correct.)

I'd want to avoid the impression that the "book" in question was a book of scripture, as that's not the association I'm aiming to use, in this case. What I'm implying is that books in general offer freedom.

I don't speak Latin, but I knew a librarian with an "In Libris Libertas" tattoo. She told me it translated to "In books, freedom" or "There is freedom in books", depending on how strictly you wanted to translate.

I don't speak Latin, but I knew a librarian with an "In Libris Libertas" tattoo. She told me it translated to "In books, freedom" or "There is freedom in books", depending on how strictly you wanted to translate.

That's my impression as well - not a specific book, but books in general.

In bygone days, if you were a snooty type, you'd paste an adhesive bookplate on the inside cover of your books that stated, for example, "Ex Libris EleCivil," meaning, "from EleCivil's library."

This pun wouldn't be a variation on Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book," would it, blue?

Hmm, I should really read that book, btw.

No, it's the kernel of a story idea I'm kicking around. There was more to the story idea, but I've slept since then. :shock: So I'll have to recapture whatever it was that seemed so brilliant a few days ago.

Anyway, thanks, EleCivil and Paul for the input. "In Libris Libertas" works as well as "Ex Libris Libertas," and that usage of "Ex Libris" for bookplates is what prompted the title pun.