Blog restrictions?

Trab

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Blog system to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

Oh boy.

"knowingly false" - I guess that means no works of fiction

"inaccurate" - 100% perfect research, make no mistake about it

"obscene" - to whom?

"profane" - to which religion? Any? Do we need to study all of them first?

"sexually oriented" - Do I need to point out that this is predominantly a gay site?

"violative of any law" - ANY LAW? In Quebec you aren't allow to use English for signs. Does that mean no titles in English? I don't even want to think about how many laws from Iran we may be violating right now.

I think maybe I'm over-reacting, but as many of you know, I have AS, and RULES ARE RULES. I'm afraid these are just too much for me, and I'll have to pass on making a blog here. :icon1:

I just read those things myself - what a hoot!. It sounds like it was written by Jerry Falwell, except for the obvious omission of the terms 'personal savior!' I'll be re-doing them reducing them to a sentence or two - probably appealing to common sense. When the software comes out of the box... it always has the most restrictive stuff in thre so you can go in and edit out what you don't want.

With the stress of getting the new board going - and learning the new software - plus dealing with a green-gray skin that was actually thwarting the proper operation of the new system - launching a new home page - launching a new somewhat g-rated portal for our site - I have had a busy week. Getting down to edit the sign-up info for blogs kinda slipped off my table.

I'll address it and the board's general posting guidelines as well in the next 24 hours. Don't let it stop you from blogging - which we opened up to regular members on September 1st - if you have something you want to say!

All the folks in the 'lower 48 provinces' are celebrating Labor Day weekend. Clazy AmeliKans don't know Labor Day is May 1st everywhere else in the world!"

:icon1:

Gasp! Appeal to common sense? How...extraordinary! :icon1:

Trab, I don't recall ever seeing anything bad from you, so please continue being yourself. You're welcome to blog at AD or, if you have a blog elsewhere, to link to it.

Those rules, in plain language, just mean -- don't act ugly to others, 'cause no one will want to play with you any more. :)

Sure, talk about how you feel as a gay person...or straight...or not quite either...but I would really, really rather you talk about what makes you a *person*, with or without any qualifiers. The person-hood part makes you real and human. The qualifiers add interesting details.

Go blog, it's fine, really!

Phew. It's a relief to read that it was an oversight. I can certainly understand it happening, what with ALL the changes, which, by the way, are quite attractive and appealing to me. You guys are doing a great job on this, and I for one, appreciate it very much. :)

If nobody plays with me any more, I will be more sexually frustrated than I already am.

:icon1:

Almost any comment I make about that will only dig the hole deeper.

Sorry you're frustrated, there, guy.

Guys, I am so in love with this site. You are all a breath of fresh air. Common sense, Yes! I am for that . You just don't see it very much these days, especially in relation to contracts and agreements that purport to protect the signatories from being sued or from criminal accusations.

At worst I thought that our dude was trying to protect himself from being arrested and locked up with a lot of cute young offenders, or being manhandled by overly muscular officers of the law for allowing people to blog seditious or otherwise offensive expressions.

That of course brings up the whole notion of freedom of expression along with its qualification of responsibility to allow other people's right to their freedoms of expression. That would be a forum in itself.

Personally I would like to see the phrasing along the lines of:

a. A warning that content may require maturity on the part of the reader.

b. Any blogs that incite hatred and vilification will not be tolerated.

c. Satirical content may require a sense of humour/irony on the part of the reader.

or any such phrases that achieve the above or are in sympathy with the spirit of the declaration of human rights.

I'm sure you can all think of things to add.

As for 'smart asses' I personally don't enjoy my ass smarting, but that's just me.

As for nobody playing with me I recommend sesame oil as a personal lubricant.