Problems with archiving your Private Messages?

Camy

I hate throwing things away, especially private messages. They're mine and I like them - call me weird.

Anyway - long story short - my message box was 98% full, so it was either dump them or archive them.

The IP Board software offers you two choices: archive as html or excel importable. On other invision boards the data is sent as an attachment, this version doesn't - or perhaps my email package won't accept them or ...

After a lot of frustration, and my inbox getting fuller and fuller to busting I did some research - based on some distant memory...

The board software is sending the archive file as MIME encoded 'inline' rather than as an attachment. This means the data is part of the email message itself rather than as a neat clickable attachment.

What you have to do is decode it. It might sound complicated, but it's not.

To decode you need a small program called UUDeview which for windows is here http://fpx.de/fp/Software/UUDeview/

Then when you receive the email simply open it and save it to a folder as a txt file, run UUDeview, point it to your txt file and it will 'pull out' the attachment.

I've tried both html and excel, and html is much, much better.

One other tip. Don't set the option to delete archive messages once archived until you've made sure you've managed to decode them. Better to safe than sad.

After Dude switched to this software, I archieved my messages. I sent them as hmtl and they came as an attachment. This was done on 4/14/06.

Jan

Ah great, It never occured to me to try another e-mail program.

So what mail program do you use? 'cause in Thunderbird, which is the Mozilla freeware (they also produce Firefox) I get them as in-line MIME.

Ah great, It never occured to me to try another e-mail program.

So what mail program do you use? 'cause in Thunderbird, which is the Mozilla freeware (they also produce Firefox) I get them as in-line MIME.

The file is sent to the email address that you provide, in my case, Comcast. I also use Outlook Express to retrieve my mail most of the time. When I click to open the file, it opens as a webpage. I use firefox as my browser.

As a test, before doing this reply, I sent what mail I had in my Inbox. Checking the Comcast account, the archived file sent was opened becoming part of the email text. OE received it as an attachment.

Jan