From old, beaten trucks to horny cats, we all have unique avatars that have been carefully chosen (hopefully) to identify us in personality and M.O.

But what is up with them? What does Cartman?s cat have to do with out intrepid leader? Why do the Ausies always have the cool ones? Well, here is a place for everyone to let their fellow dude know what their avatar is all about.

Mine is simple: I?m a ninja aficionado. Not to be confused with a ninja geek who sits in his mom?s basement and watches Naruto all day, I actually read Naruto. :icon12:

I used to use a generic juggling .gif, but now I use Ness from EarthBound, doing his famous "fuzzy pickles" pose. EarthBound was the first RPG I ever played, and I always appreciated its weird humor. Plus, anybody who can fight hippies and dinosaurs with a baseball bat is automatically awesome.

My Avatar is a scan of a pendant given to me by a now long departed but much loved mentor because I was so taken with the image of Da Vinci's "Vitruvian man' when I was young 25 year old. (sigh)

post-233-1162235302_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_man

Far from ever representing my own physique (I wish) it does however represent an inner longing inside me for the search for Universal human truths. Please, no religious connection asked for or meant.

So what might appear to some to be a somewhat pretentious avatar is really a homage to both my mentor and to all Mankind's' search for truth, whatever and wherever it may be found.

In any case I thought it was a more interesting image than the painting in the attic that seems to show what I look like. (it's not a painting ? It's a mirror? Damn! :icon12: )

:icon12:

I'm an amateur photographer and I like taking pictures of Australian animals and plants. My original avatar was a close-up of an emu I took at Australia Zoo in Queensland (the one started by Steve Irwin). The King Parrot that's the background for my author's page was also taken there. My current avatar is a photo I took of an echidna at the Healesville Wildlife Sancturary when I went there with my family.

I know that Graeme is going to freak and yell at me when I say that my avatar looks a lot like me, except for the hair color. Mine isn't black, it's auburn (red-brown). When I have the time I'll edit the avatar to change the hair color. I originally found it on Awesomedude, I think, or maybe somewhere else. Anyway, because it looks like me and doesn't seem to be copyrighted, I've appropriated it!! :icon12:

Colin :icon12:

I know that Graeme is going to freak and yell at me when I say that my avatar looks a lot like me, except for the hair color. Mine isn't black, it's auburn (red-brown). When I have the time I'll edit the avatar to change the hair color. I originally found it on Awesomedude, I think, or maybe somewhere else. Anyway, because it looks like me and doesn't seem to be copyrighted, I've appropriated it!! :icon12:

Colin :icon12:

Well, if you insist....

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?!

Anyway, that avatar has WAY too much hair. Please cut some off and send it to me :icon12: -- we're coming into Summer here and I hate the top of my head getting sunburnt. :icon12:

Graeme :icon1:

I originally found it on Awesomedude, I think, or maybe somewhere else. Anyway, because it looks like me and doesn't seem to be copyrighted, I've appropriated it!!

You don't even know who that is? It's Spike Spiegel, the badass bounty hunter from Coybow Beebop. Your avatar is one of the coolest anime characters ever and you don't even know it.

I was going to give you props for taste, but you don't get props for random chance.

Well, if you insist....

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?!

Anyway, that avatar has WAY too much hair. Please cut some off and send it to me :evilgrin: -- we're coming into Summer here and I hate the top of my head getting sunburnt. :icon_geek:

Graeme :icon1:

Hey, Graeme, has my mom been talking to you? Cut my hair? My beeootiful hair? That I've been nurturing and developing and training for like over 15 years? NFW! It stays! All of it! Right on my head! :icon_geek: NOI, but f you want some, you'll have to find it elsewhere! :unsure:

Colin :icon_geek:

You don't even know who that is? It's Spike Spiegel, the badass bounty hunter from Coybow Beebop. Your avatar is one of the coolest anime characters ever and you don't even know it.

I was going to give you props for taste, but you don't get props for random chance.

Nope, I never heard of Spike Spiegel or Cowboy Beebop. I'm not into anime. Lots of kids at my HS are, we even have an Anime club. I'm more into weird off-the-wall kinds of comix like Pearls Before Swine. I think I deserve props for taste just for that!

Anyway, my avatar looks a LOT like me. If someone sat down to draw me, my avatar is what their drawing would look like. Except my hair would ba auburn. Like it is in real life.

:icon_geek: I highly recommend Cowboy Beebop, a very fun, creative anime with good jazz music and an awesome storyline to boot.

Spike is a great character. Ed is, well, not what you might think. ;) And even the dog, Ein, gets points.

Colin, if you look like Spike with auburn hair, well, your boyfriend's a lucky young man. Brains and looks, hubba-hubba. ...Of course, you're welcome to remind him how lucky he is. ;)

Colin, if you look like Spike with auburn hair, well, your boyfriend's a lucky young man. Brains and looks, hubba-hubba. ...Of course, you're welcome to remind him how lucky he is. ;)

Actually, I'm the one who's lucky. My BF is Chinese, has the most fantastic eyes that I fall into when I look at him, and this sexy spiky hair, and the greatest smile ever. :icon_geek:

My current avatar is a color-altered version of a clip art image.

I wanted something that was "Blue" and purple and had some depth and mood, with a hint of night owl, something that expressed my writing and editing self.

I chose Blue as a handle because I was at a loss for something more clever when I first posted to a gay forum.

It wasn't until later that I realized it could be considered a risqu? pun. I didn't plan it to be one.

A note: When I finally registered at the GayAuthors forum, I discovered I could not be "Blue." There were already three "Blue-like" people there, and the forum wouldn't allow "Blue" or "blue" as a username. -- If you occasionally see adblue over there, that's me. But you'd know that from my posting style and my avatar.

Nope, I never heard of Spike Spiegel or Cowboy Beebop. I'm not into anime.

I got into bigg trouble at on digg the other day for taking a swipe at anime.

There was a thread insisting that Akira belonged in the top 250 movies of all time. Of course it was being dugg-up by anime fan-boys.

So I dropped this little bomb into the thread:

isn't anime Japanese for small penis?

:icon_geek:

It was not my most popular posting. :icon_geek:

So I dropped this little bomb into the thread:

isn't anime Japanese for small penis?

:icon_geek:

It was not my most popular posting. :icon_geek:

*carefully chooses words*

One who has not seen Akira or any other of the more refined anime would certainly not understand the POV of an anime geek. There is bad anime out there just like there's bad live-action movies (case in point, X-Men: III, a movie I'd rather gouge my eyes with a spork than ever see again) and Akira is considered by most to be the best anime ever. It is, in fact, a movie that helped inspire The Matrix, and has close ties with Blade Runner.

It is supreme sci-fi noir and is definitely worth a recommendation.

My avatar and I met somewhere - probably google images. Dunno why I adopted him, except I had a comment from Mr Savik about appearing as Sideshow Bob.

I'm hoping I'm not the same Emu that Graeme photographed, but then as Emu's go I'm pretty fabulous bird, so I don't really care ... sweety. :icon_geek:

Anime. I have seen a few (chortle).

Comics you can't beat 'The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers', Asterix, and Tintin.

Colin, If you cut it, it grows back. Honestly :icon_geek:

Colin, If you cut it, it grows back. Honestly :icon_geek:

Yes, if I have my hair cut, it will grow back. However, if it's cut too short then my mom would force me to have it cut again when it's way too short to be cut. After a few months I'd end up looking sheared. Like a sheep. Somewhere in Australia. No, Colin and barbers don't get along when my mom's along. I go alone, and I don't tell her which barber I use so she can't call them and conspire about how much should be cut off. The barber I go to understands exactly how little I want cut off. I like my hair. I like it longish. No changes are wanted or necessary. :icon_geek:

I like my hair. I like it longish. No changes are wanted or necessary.

So. Three years ago, on my birthday, I got in the bath and came out shaven. Even now I don't know what possesed me, it was a spur of the moment 'thing', but the look on everyones face was just ... magic!

It took a couple of months to grow back.

Though you are exactly the same person, people treat you very differently. Weird, but understandable.

Sometimes a change is as good as a rest ... Baaaaaa!

Sometimes a change is as good as a rest ... Baaaaaa!

You made me laugh Camy.

No one is cutting my hair either (I am keeping what is left of it).

from

DesDoneover

(Yeah well I can dream can't I?) :icon_geek:

Meet The Talon, The Grip of Fear. This is a shot of the coaster going the Finale of the ride. For those of you who don't know, I'm one of those coaster nuts.

It's okay. We like you anyway. :icon_geek:

PS: I like coasters too :)

Comics you can't beat 'The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers', Asterix, and Tintin.

Love the FFB. I own the complete works. Ditto for Tintin -- and I've got some rare non-Tintin works by Herge as well. Asterix is okay but I never got into it. I can't believe there's another FFB fan besides me :)

Although I know of Ast?rix et Ob?lisque as well as Tintin, I, alas, haven't read them. The francophone in me is both jealous and appreciative.

I've never even heard of the Fabulous, Furry, Freak Brothers.

You guys are *all* weird. Weird, I tell ya! -- Love ya for it.

-- Weren't we originally on avatars?

Although I know of Ast?rix et Ob?lisque as well as Tintin, I, alas, haven't read them. The francophone in me is both jealous and appreciative.

I've never even heard of the Fabulous, Furry, Freak Brothers.

You guys are *all* weird. Weird, I tell ya! -- Love ya for it.

-- Weren't we originally on avatars?

Actually I think it was you who mentioned Cowboy Beebop an anime character (which is comics at 24fps).

Or perhaps it was Savik and his anime meaning small penii (collective noun for penises - well if it's not it should be)

This is worthy of a look btw http://www.ojohaven.com/collectives/

Umm where was I? Oh yeah Herg?, who wrote Tintin came from Belgium, not France.

Never heard of the Furry Freaks?!!! Heh, please let me turn you on.