Why Parents' Hair Turns Gray

A father passing by his son's bedroom was astonished to see the bed nicely made up and everything neat and tidy. Then he saw an envelope propped up prominently on the pillow. It was addressed, "Dad". With the worst premonition, he opened the envelope and read the letter with trembling hands:

Dear Dad,

It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to move in with my new friend because I wanted to avoid a scene with you and Mom. I've been finding real passion with John...he is so nice. I knew you would not approve of him because of all his piercings, tattoos, tight motorcycle clothes...and because he is so much older than I am. John says that we are going to be very happy. He owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood - enough for the whole winter.

John has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it and trading it with the other people in the commune for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want. In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for herpes so John can get better; he sure deserves it! Don't worry Dad, I'm 15 years old now and I know how to take care of myself. Someday, I'm sure we'll be back to visit.

Your son, Chad

P.S. Dad, none of the above is true. I'm over at Tommy's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are other things in life than the report card that's in my desk drawer.

:stare:

I don't have enough hair to turn grey.... (or gray, even).

So what, then, is the difference between the two spellings? According to Google Answers, the two words have almost the same meaning in all cases, and g-r-a-y is simply an American derivation of the original spelling g-r-e-y. According to Flak Magazine, the difference can be chalked up to the same happenstances that led to organize/organise and judgement/judgment. Apparently e.e. cummings and Prince are partly to blame as well. However, among the several hypotheses for why gray and grey exist, I believe the following to be the best:

Gray is a color.

Grey is a *colour*.

Now I'm going off to my apartment (flat), organize (organise) myself and watch the "Dancing with the Stars" program (programme). :icon10:

Jack :icon10:

P.S. I currently have a crush on Mario! :smile: What a hot guy.

However, among the several hypotheses for why gray and grey exist, I believe the following to be the best:

Gray is a color.

Grey is a *colour*.

Definitely the best definition I've seen for the difference between the two words. :icon10:

Being a redhead I'm not going grey or gray, because we just go white.

At the moment I'm reached the, 'Oh you must have been a redhead, but now you look blond, (blonde)" age. :icon10:

:icon10:

A father passing by his son's bedroom was astonished to see the bed nicely made up and everything neat and tidy. Then he saw an envelope propped up prominently on the pillow. It was addressed, "Dad". With the worst premonition, he opened the envelope and read the letter with trembling hands:

Dear Dad,

It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to move in with my new friend because I wanted to avoid a scene with you and Mom. I've been finding real passion with John...he is so nice. I knew you would not approve of him because of all his piercings, tattoos, tight motorcycle clothes...and because he is so much older than I am. John says that we are going to be very happy. He owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood - enough for the whole winter.

John has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it and trading it with the other people in the commune for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want. In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for herpes so John can get better; he sure deserves it! Don't worry Dad, I'm 15 years old now and I know how to take care of myself. Someday, I'm sure we'll be back to visit.

Your son, Chad

P.S. Dad, none of the above is true. I'm over at Tommy's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are other things in life than the report card that's in my desk drawer.

Jeez, if I wrote this and sent it to my dad I'd either be locked in my room for the rest of what would be my drastically shortened natural life, or I'd have to lie to him and tell him that it was just a project in my Communications Studies class and hope he believed me! :icon10:

It is very funny. Thanks for sharing! I copied and printed it and showed it to my dad, and he LHAO! I asked him what he'd think if he'd gotten that from me. He just gave me one of those "Dad looks"! :stare:

Colin :icon10:

I think my mom and dad would've reacted about ths same way.... Plus, it might've been interesting to see how many colors they turned and how often their faces changed shape. ...That is, assuming they didn't shorten my natural life and ground me forever *first* before all the shape-changing and the rolling on the floor laughing. ;D ...Aw, yes, they would've found it funny.

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, if I tried to pull that I believe my mom would think the letter was all true. So I'd better not plan that one out.. lol.

It was cute though. :)

Krista