Same sex couples now recognised in South Australia

After every other state in Australia has passed recognition laws, South Australia has finally caught up.

We were promised this a long time ago but conservative forces have kept it from passing into law, or even being heard.

A dedicated group of people have tirelessly kept at it and have now won with the new laws being passed yesterday.

Hooray. :icon13::icon13:

For more details see the following newspaper link.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...853-910,00.html

Please note that the "Family First" political party, mentioned in the above article, is a right wing conservative Christian based party that has tried to stop passage of this bill.

The passage of this bill after so long is even more amazing because South Australia was the first Australian state to decriminalise homosexual acts between consenting adults way back in 70's (I think.)

Anyway, now my boyfriend should be able to visit me when I go into the aged care facility. :icon10:

Congratulations, Des! Another step along the way. Now if the federal Liberals will do what they have promised and remove discrimination from federal law, I'll be even happier!

Please note that the "Family First" political party, mentioned in the above article, is a right wing conservative Christian based party that has tried to stop passage of this bill.

They are constantly trying deny that they are a religious-based party, but no one believes them. My short story "Family First" was named deliberately after this particular political party. :icon10:

Aww, gives you a reason to be proud of the place you call home. I'm always happy to hear of different places around the world seeing the importance of equal rights. :)

Krista

Our wonderful new minority government wanted to revisit the issue of same sex marriage, and brought it back for a vote. I'm happy to announce that the motion to resume the debate was soundly defeated, so the law allowing same sex marriage stands in Canada. Yessss!!!!!

Our wonderful new minority government wanted to revisit the issue of same sex marriage, and brought it back for a vote. I'm happy to announce that the motion to resume the debate was soundly defeated, so the law allowing same sex marriage stands in Canada. Yessss!!!!!

Great news!