Login disappears while on AD

colinian

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but what the heck, I'm here and it just happened to me so here's where I'll post this.

I'll log in to AD, and even make posts (so I KNOW I'm logged in), I'll go to another AD forum (like I'll start in "News and Views" then go to "Blue's Closet" and I'll notice that I'm not logged in any more. This sometimes happens within a few minutes, like maybe 5 or 10. It seems strange, that doesn't happen to me on Codey's World or GA. Any technical reason this is happening? :icon1:

Colin :icon1:

I've never noticed this myself. Is this in the same browser window? And which browser are you using?

I mostly use IE 7 (it's faster on my PC than Firefox and I go to a lot of sites that use ActiveX controls), but I've tried Firefox and it happens using it as well. Could my ISP be doing some sort of instant disconnect that's causing AD to think I've disconnected and time me out?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but what the heck, I'm here and it just happened to me so here's where I'll post this.

I'll log in to AD, and even make posts (so I KNOW I'm logged in), I'll go to another AD forum (like I'll start in "News and Views" then go to "Blue's Closet" and I'll notice that I'm not logged in any more. This sometimes happens within a few minutes, like maybe 5 or 10. It seems strange, that doesn't happen to me on Codey's World or GA. Any technical reason this is happening? :icon1:

Colin, It happens to me at GA, but not here or at Codey's. ???

Colin,

Try clearing just the cookies for AD, see if that helps, and let us know, please.

I haven't had that happen at AD or other forums that use the same forum software. However, I have had it happen at forums that use other software before.

~Blue

This same issue has been discussed at GA and I have the same problem from work. Since the upgrade to V2.2.0 software, I have problems staying logged in at both GA and The talon House. It doesn't matter if I use IE or Firefox. One thing I've noticed is the two browsers use different IP's. I have tried deleting cookies, but that doesn't seem to help so I'm assuming there is some kind of filter at work.

Something else I found strange. While visiting family over the Christmas holiday, I went to the local Christian Uni to use their wi-fi network. I could get to the AD home page but not into the forums. For obvious reasons, I couldn't get to GA or any of it's affiliates.

Jan

Colin,

Try clearing just the cookies for AD, see if that helps, and let us know, please.

I haven't had that happen at AD or other forums that use the same forum software. However, I have had it happen at forums that use other software before.

~Blue

OK, I'll give that a try and let you know if it still happens. If you don't get a post from me on this topic within a couple of weeks, assume that it stopped; we're approaching first semester finals week and I'm up to my armpits in studying and finishing projects and snap quizzes and tests (why, oh why, do we still have to have tests this close to finals? IDK!), so I probably won't be visiting forums as much as usual. I'll only post if it happens again after clearing AD cookies.

Colin :icon_geek:

OK, I have a clue. I didn't have a chance to clear my AD cookies, I'd just posted the post immediately above this one. I went back out to the forum home page using my Back button. It showed that I wasn't logged in. I went to this forum page using my Forward button, and it showed that I was logged in. I did a refresh and it still showed that I was logged in. I went back out to the forum home page using my Back button and it showed that I wasn't logged in. I did a refresh and it then showed that I was logged in. I went back out to the forum home page and it again showed that I wasn't logged in. Could that "wasn't logged in" state become sticky and leave me logged out when I go to some other page?

I don't have time to do a test right now, I have to help my dad with something. I'll try it later, after we get back from dinner.

Thanks, Colin. That sounds like it's reporting the status incorrectly, and that you're actually still logged in during a session in the forums.

That's techno-babble for, "the forum software and the browser are having a confused argument, but you're still logged in."

Since that's what it's doing, try hitting "Back" and then "Refresh" to see if that magically fixes the login issue.

Yes, I've had other forum software complain that I'm suddenly not logged in. It's a strange feeling when you see, "Users browsing this topic: 0," for instance. Yes, I've seen that before.

It's aggravating, and vaguely unsettling to the old ego, I know.

-- Bottom Line: Let us know when you get a chance, but don't sweat it.

It's funny, but I've had that happen with almost every forum, if I used my back button. In fact, just about every page that takes information, such as sending a text message from my computer. You send the message, use the back button, and magically it looks like the message never went out. If you try to send it again, it raps you on the e-knuckles for trying to send the same message twice.

Thanks, Colin. That sounds like it's reporting the status incorrectly, and that you're actually still logged in during a session in the forums.

That's techno-babble for, "the forum software and the browser are having a confused argument, but you're still logged in."

Since that's what it's doing, try hitting "Back" and then "Refresh" to see if that magically fixes the login issue.

Yes, I've had other forum software complain that I'm suddenly not logged in. It's a strange feeling when you see, "Users browsing this topic: 0," for instance. Yes, I've seen that before.

It's aggravating, and vaguely unsettling to the old ego, I know.

-- Bottom Line: Let us know when you get a chance, but don't sweat it.

OK, will do.